New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm / 250 -3000 improved
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If I had the reamers and case sizing reamer how would you get the headspace gauges for this combination , or could you make your own case sizing die and fill it with cerro safe and use this as a go gauge . I don't know who improved this reamer set and at what shoulder angle it is ground to , also the finish reamer does'nt have the throater built in so that would require an additional reamer I would think .

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a reamer and just cut the chamber to barely close on the "Go" gauge. Dies are available from Redding and CH4D.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Sounds like you will need a throating reamer anyway you go so why not send the reamers to Dave Kiff, have him make you a throater and a Go Gauge at the same time.

Be advised, when you're all done what you'll have, more or less, is a 6 XC for which dies, brass, etc are available over the counter.

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
good luck with this, I made one a couple years ago with a hart barrel on a #1 action & it is a real tack driver. Uses less powder than the 243, but gives about the same velocity with very consistant results

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesYou really don't need a gage persay. You are not building to a standard and only your rifle will be using your reloads. size if you want till the bolt just closes with just a LITTLE effort. Now if you are going to have two rifles of that cartridge and want to use the same reloads in either rifle than it might be that you should have gages. Even than you could use a once fired reload that fits the first rifle for a gage while chambering the second. thumbA fair number of my wildcats never had gages.Just resently I found that I had been suplied gages by Clymer in 1982 for four of my wildcats that were built at that time. Never knew I had them and never used them; but I got em. homerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote