Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x284
 Login/Join

posted
I picked up an extra 700 Ti barrel in 260 that I am thinking of punching out to 6.5x284. It may not be worth the extra hassle, but it's fun testing this out.

What kind of velocities can I expect from a 22" barrel?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you`ll be rather unhappy unless you like muzzle blast and fireballs. The 260 is, as I recall, about a 45.0-48.0 gr case. The 6.5/284 uses about 58.0 grains[in my rifle] or so and really needs a little longer barrel. Even a 24" will cut the blast and give you better ballistics. You can try and you might be very happily surprised. Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.

Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mark, thank you very much for the reply!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless you really stuff it with powder, you will not notice the muzzle blast or flash. I had my 6.5-284 built as a light rifle with a 20" toothpick thin barrel and until I put 55 grains of IMR4350 powder in it, which I don't because of the pressures in mine, I never notice the flash except at dark when I finish shooting at the range, never during field light.

Since it is an extra barrel, try it. If you don't like it, sell it. I might be interested in it after the conversion.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If your action is a 700SA, I think you'll find you are limited to 129gr & less bullets if you want to use the magazine. The longer 140just seat too deep for my liking, so I had a barrel chambered in .260ai. I get maybe +75fps across the bullet board. It's a nice round that fits the SA magazine. Let us know how it turns out.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fredj338 makes a good point about the magazine length. I used an intermediate action with no problems.

fred, where did you have your barrel rechambered. I have been thinking about the same thing.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fred is right about the magazine lenght you can get an extra long one from Brownells but may not work with the 140 or 142grSMKm My rifle is throated for the 142grSMK and the OAL of a loaded round is 3.045. I'd sure look at the 260AI or 6.5x55AI. Just my .02

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
larry, I bought a new bbl. from PacNor & had my gunsmith chamber it. It's a Sendaro profile, 27" long W/ 1-8 twist. I had her out Sun. & this is a smoking accurate round. It will easily push 139-142gr bullets @ 2850fps & shoots in the .4s. The 120-123gr move right @ 3100fps w/ sim. accuracy. Drop to a 90grTNT @ 3400fps & sometimes I can get into the low .3s. I may just but a M700 mtn, LSS & rechamber it as well, make a nice mountain rifle or rig for the wife.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote