New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x74r
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has any one worked up modern loads for the 9.3x74r for a ruger or other strong action. I was thinking of the 50000 PSI range with 283 gr bullet. I want to go to Africa in couple of years and only take one rifle I was thinking of having Bailey build me of his falling block double in 9.3x74 or 338x74r Keith with 26" barrels to shoot mainly on plains game.

Posts: 243 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 06 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was an article in Handloader some years ago whereby a gent did exactly that. I may have it out in the shop.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Reverend Recoil
posted Hide Post
I load mine for my Ruger about 10% above the listed handbook loads. Primers are not flat and there is no expansion of the case head. They also extract easily. I think they are well below 50,000 psi. I see no reason to go any higher. A +10% load will layout the biggest beast in North America at 250 yds.

DR #2276, P-100 2021

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What are you going to hunt that you can't take with factory 9.3x74R loads?

If you want more power, why not get something a little larger like a 450-400 Nitro Express?

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rnb,

make sure you have headstamped brass for the Bradshaw double. They checked in Zim and RSA when I hunted there.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote