Tools

9.3x68s Improved. ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What do you think about this idea?
8x68s case to 9.3,
blow shoulder out from .478 to .495)
Still leaves good body taper .523 Head-.493 Shld.
shoulder angle(less than 30 deg., around maybe 25 deg.)for smooth reliable feed.
Neck length over one calibre in length approx.(.374")
More capacity & stronger than brenneke case.
thumb or thumbdown ???

"Dont blame the devil for anything,he is only doing his job,it is your own personal responsibility to overcome any temptation he puts before you."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you done the resizing to the case or some one else

Posts: 34 | Location: Central Oklahoma | Registered: 08 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thumb jump thumb

How would it compare to a 376 Steyr?

DT

Posts: 196 | Location: NC | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would crap all over it for ballistic performance,the Styer is even smaller in capacity than the 9.3x64,let alone a 9.3x68sImp.With that 68s brass you could really give that round some curry and it would take it.But the Styer in itself is aneat idea. I would love to run a 270gn failsafe out of it.

<JOHAN>
posted
Woodjack

Sounds like an interesting cartridge. But if you want more performance there is a 9,3X70 based on 404 Jeffery case. 9,3X68 wildcats sounds like an interesting

376 Steyr is a perfect solution to a nonexistent problem Razzer Big Grin Big Grin roflmao

Cheers
/JOHAN

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Some guys were talking about their 9.3x68's a year or so ago. Don't know about the shoulder angle they used. Do a search.

I like the idea of the round.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
1000 yard shooter and Gun Smith Dave Tooley has spent quite a bit of time and effeort into the 6.8x68.

His 30 cal. version is called the 30 Boo Boo.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The thing I like about the 376 Steyr is that it feeds nicely from an intermediate Mauser action.

The 8 mm Steyr AI that I made holds 78 grains of water.

DT

Posts: 196 | Location: NC | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
At the end it will be a little short than 68, probably near to 67 mm.

I've seen one once, but I do nor remember the shoudler angle (modified or not).

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of DWalter
posted Hide Post
Sako already has a factory loaded 9.3X66mm that is fully the equal of the 375 H&H and almost the Ultramag.

Posts: 7 | Location: Eastern WA State | Registered: 09 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't imagine it will have any real ballistic advantage over a 9.3xH&H Imp. And the cases will be harder to find, and feeding will have to be dealt with. If you want to push a particular bullet weight at a certain speed, make sure you can't do it with the H&H case first. If you want to do something different to be different, there's no stopping you. But definitely consider the 404/RUM case. It will give you much more of an increase over the H&H than will the Schuller.

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want a hot 9.3 then you might look at the .366 DGW on page 201 of Cartridges of the World, the tenth edition. It will push a 250 grain bullet at over 3200 fps or a 300 grain slug at 2900 pluss a few. However it is based on the .416 Rigby case so you need a larg action.

It is not what you hunt with, it is how you hunt that matters!

Posts: 130 | Location: St. Albans Maine | Registered: 29 June 2003Reply With Quote