THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    7.62 x 39 necked down to .243 6.5 270 7mm ?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7.62 x 39 necked down to .243 6.5 270 7mm ?
 Login/Join

posted
I'd like to build a short range deer hunting rifle for my small in stature 13 year old son. Does anyone have any experience with any of these wildcats? Any recommendations? I kinda like the 6.5 due the variety of bullets available and 129grn bullets should have pretty good sectional density. I've thought about just having him start with a .243win but my son only weighs 75lbs and a wildcat could be fun. Any Thoughts?

Posts: 2 | Location: Castaic< Ca | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
If wildcatting is your thing, then the 6.5X39mm would be what I'd suggest out of the bunch you mentioned(.243, 6.5, 270, 7mm).

Thant being said; however, the .260 remington (I think 6.5X51mm) is a better and easier choice and your son should be able to handle light loads with practice.

Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It would be much easier to use reduced loads in standard cartridges. One has to reload a wildcat anyway.

If I were that age I would want a 243. There is way more varmint hunting than big game hunting and it's not so cold.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are in luck my friend. Alexander Arms link developed the 6.5 Grendel which is essentially the 6.5 x 39 PPC-Improved. It is performing exceptionally in the AR-15. From what I understand, Brockman , their distributor, has been given permission to build CZ527s in this caliber (see link http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80 )

That little CZ in that caliber would be the perfect choice for your son, and you can get factory ammo to boot.

Hope that helps, but that is the route I would go (albeit that I would have to "borrow" the rifle from my sons all the time )

Posts: 327 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Selous Scouts used the AK round necked down to 7mm (no change in shoulder angle or any other change)during the rhodesian bush war.

The new barrels were fitted onto standard AK rifles except they were normally a couple of inches linger. Bullet weight used was 120grns

Main advantage was vastly improved accuracy and better penetration through timber.

In this day and age, why not just load 100grn .32 cal (.312") XTPs into the standard AK round? those pistol bullets work like a charm on Impala when fired out of a .303 (100grn XTP's at 3000-3200fps). Your whitetails aren't much bigger and at the lower launch velocity...

The .303 and 7.62x39 should use .311 thick jacketed rifle bullets but my experience that 1 thou oversise improves accuracy if it does anything at all.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've played with the 6.5x39 imp a little with a 16" barrel
3031 AA 2230 and a few others gave 2650 fps with a 100 grn bullet. havent tried anything heavyer yet.

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Classic

The 7.62 x 39 necked to .243 is the 6 PPC. Necked to 6.5 it is the 6.5 Grendl. Both are factory cartridges. I'm sure someone has necked the case to most other calibers but they would all be pure wildcats. A much better approach would be to start with the BR case which is the same length but has a larger capacity.

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Classic, I have two 527s that I rebbled, one to 6 mm PPC and the other to 6.5 PPC. I later had the 6.5 PPC rereamed to the Grendel (Grendel shoulder is a little more forward than the 6.5 PPC). I love them and plan to take a whitetail this season with the 6.5 Rebbling to the 6.8 Rem SPC is another option.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try contacting accuracy systems in texas, they are making mini-14's on different calibers including several on the 7.62x39 case

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 270x39IMP reamer and a minimauser chambered for it. It is a very accurate cartridge and is a great hunting cartridge for young and old. Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
"The 7.62 x 39 necked to .243 is the 6 PPC" I beg to differ but the 7.62 X 39 necked to .243 is not the 6 PPC. The 220 Russian necked to .243 is the 6 PPC.

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim, you can form the 6PPC from either the 7.62x39 or the 220 Russian. Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the 6.5mm, and stick use 100 or 120 gr bullets. Since you don't have really high velocity, you'll get plenty of penetration with 120's.

A downloaded 260 rem would be a less expensive route, but I can see the alure of the 6.5X39, and have considered building one, or a 6.5 TCU for my children.

The other optio is a .308 win, loading 130 gr bullets to ~2700 fps. The beauty with that concept is the gun can be used for larger critters when he groes up. You can also get a Lee 115 gr bullet mold for inexspensive no recoil practice loads, and you'll be amazed how well they group at 50 yds.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
CoolA CZ 6.5 X 55 loaded down while he is young with Seafire's Blue Dot loads and going into man hood increase the charge. When he is my age he'll have found memories of a caring Dad to pass on to his great grand kids and a beautiful rifle to boot to show to some wide eyed youngsters. Life don't get no better. thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote