New
Find
Notify
Tools

8mm-06 AI?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does the 8MM-06 AI lend itself to fireforming from 8mm-06 hand loads, or is the shoulder moved forward?

I am hoping that it is just a blown out '06 case with a steeper shoulder so that cases can be fireformed.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
If the AI chamber is done correctly then a factory round or in your case a normal 8X06 round should be a crush fit. Then you would just load and fire. The problem normally occurs when a person takes a normal chamber and then just runs a AI reamer into it without setting the barrel back. When done this way the headspace is longer than standard.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
If the AI chamber is done correctly then a factory round or in your case a normal 8X06 round should be a crush fit. Then you would just load and fire. The problem normally occurs when a person takes a normal chamber and then just runs a AI reamer into it without setting the barrel back. When done this way the headspace is longer than standard.

If one is reaming an 8x57 chamber there is no need to "set back" the barrel and therefore there is NO excuse for cutting the chamber improperly,

IF the chamber is already reamed to 8mm-06 then the barrel would have to be "set back". Although I am a rabid sofa fan of the 8mm-06 A.I. I would consider it a waste of time to rechamber an 8mm-06 to the Ackley Improved flavor.

I had Harry McGowen do mine and he did a great job.

One word of caution. If you are using the 8mm-06 A.I. die to "neck up", make sure you do not "bump the shoulder back" or you will have headspace problems when fireforming.

When I am making new cases, I shim the sizing die about .040" when "necking up".

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
WJ
I agree with you 100%

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Man...what a great web site. Thanks for the enlightening answers!

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote