Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

25-284 help
 Login/Join

posted
I am using a rebarreled Rem 700 with Lapua brass 6.5x284, cci200 or fed 210 primers, IMR4831. I am getting 3150 fps with 100 gr partitions, 51gr of 4831, first two shot are 1/2" or less, let cool then two more shot are inch away @ 1/2" apart. At 53 gr loads are gettiong hot. My loads are not very consistent without letting it cool for a while. Is there anything special I need to do the brass in sizing or should I reduce my load a bit. Any loads with 100gr partitons that work better? Thanks for help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its your bedding or your scope. Doubt if this has anything to do with the reloads.

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How long is your barrel ?
I get 3140 with a 20 inch .257 Roberts.
You should be able to do somthing aproaching 3300 if you have a 24 or longer tube, mabye even faster.
Mabye a different powder is in order ?
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Barstooler:
Its your bedding or your scope. Doubt if this has anything to do with the reloads.

Barstooler

could be onto it there. might also want to float that barrel while your at it

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sounds to me like it's really not grouping that load well. I'd try different powders or different bullets. Years ago i had a 6mm. rem. that shot 2-shots in 1/4", then the next 3 went 1" lower and left. If i let it cool 30 minutes it would again put 2 shots in the original group and about 1/4". The problem was that the bbl. had been straightened and would revert to it's original location when it got warm. As it was used for low volume groundhog hunting i left it alone. Had a 1/4" varmint rifle as long as it didn't get hot. After it was warm it still shot about 5/8",but poi was 1" toward 7:30. As long as i remembered to compensate for this it wasn't really a problem.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote