Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

256 win mag questions
 Login/Join

posted
I just bought a Universal Ferret in 256,I have no ammo so can not shoot the thing until I buy dies.What do I need?Also has anyone an idea of reliability issues with this rifle with roll your owns.Can I expect any accuracy out of this rifle with the round?Also what amount of loss should I expect on making cases?
Thanks

one of us
Picture of jabradyjr
posted Hide Post
HarryH,

I sent my 256 Winchester mag contender barrel out to have it rechambered for 250 Ackley Improved.

I never reloaded one round for this barrel before sending it off. I know forming your own cases is a trying experience. That's why I bought all the cases. Good luck with your purchase!

Posts: 115 | Location: St. Louis, MO. | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I made some years ago for a friends ( I believe)marlin lever. Using his brass(nickle plated) the loss rate was almost 40%-don't bother w/ nickle! It was interesting but due to his budget, also frustrating. I'd urge spending the $ for a set of forming dies. As I recall the fireform load was 7 or 8 grs of Alcan AL-6 ( or AL-7?)under a 86 gr jsp- the AL-6 should give you an idea how long ago this was!

Posts: 89 | Location: south central kansas | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jabradyjr
posted Hide Post
Snake River Rufus,

I tried to purchase case forming dies, and was told they were out of production by Midway. Much cheaper just to buy ready formed brass. They have it for sale now on GunBroker.

I've got some load data at home I could pass on if I had your email address. Use it at your own risk!

I just have to ask (because my name is Jim Brady), which Brady should they have shot??????

Hopefully it's not me!!!

Posts: 115 | Location: St. Louis, MO. | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just made the brass for a friend- can't see myself cutting a chamber for one though. Thanks for the offer

Sarah Brady, you know the big mouthed one, HCI, Brady Bill, all that.

I think RCBS might make forming dies if a guy had to have them. $$$$$$$$$$$$

Posts: 89 | Location: south central kansas | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Marlin 62 in .256. When I last ran out of brass, I was able to find a large quantity of .22 Rem Jet brass easier than .256 brass. Both are based on the .357 case. Run .22 Rem Jet brass over a tapered expander ball in .256 FL dies and the neck is opened up in one easy pass. Then fire form with a mild load too form the .256's sharper shoulder and you're done. Ed

Posts: 161 | Location: Seattle - temporarily! | Registered: 04 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dustinbrass has brass for that caliber about 27.00 a hundred , and many other odd or old calibers mine shoots real good out of a contender check it out at http://www.dustinbrass.com/

one of us
Picture of jabradyjr
posted Hide Post
Snake River Rufus,

They shouldn't shoot Sarah Brady...unless she looks out a window or leaves the house!

I decided to get out of the 256 Winchester reloading before I really got started. That's the only reason I mentioned the dies and new (Dustin) Brass. They will be headed to ebay shortly.

posted Hide Post

Redding makes a nice two die forming set for the .256 Win.
I use them to get the brass close, and finish with my regular sizer...cases are VERY good. I use Starline brass and it does fine...never lost a case, and I don't need a fireforming load...just shoot them, as they are so close done this way. Great little cartridge.

Paul

Posts: 14 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: 10 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Harry -

We've been working on loads for the 256 for the last 2+ months - something like 5k rounds shot so far. We're using a marlin 1894cs ex-357 which was rebarreled with a 1894cl 25-20 barrel and reamed to 256 (ie, the twist is 1:16 vs the std 1:14 for the 256). So far the cartridge has been a pleasant surprise - never expected a levergun to shoot sub-moa so easily, and likewise, didn't expect a case with such a short neck to be lead friendly... turns out to be both. For jacketed bullets (of what we've tested so far) - the 75gr fnc from speer is the best (others tested (so far), 60gr horn, 86gr 25-20 rem - 75gr vmax is next up). With moderate loads of vvn120 the 75 routinely shoots under 1 moa (5 shots) [we're planning to use this combination for this years marlin postal match]. The other surprise is how well it shoots 77gr rnfp hardcast lead - best 10 shots groups are running .9-1.0" at 50yds. For brass we found a gent on eBay that was offering preformed brass - bought 500 pieces, still have 500 pieces in use (though we only neck size after the first reloading). The other comments I'd offer is that as much as the best loads for the 256 shoot well, then there's the rest - have never seen such a fickle cartridge - when's it's on, it's submoa, and when it's off, it's 4-6".

hope that helps, and do shoot straight,
greg
www.gmdr.com

ps. we'll be posting the lead data to our website when we're done here in the next couple three weeks - the jacketed for liability reasons we will not. Though I'll email loads if that's of interest.

Posts: 46 | Location: far northern california (where guns aren't evil) | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Looks like a fun little rifle,I guess I will use someone elses brass until I figure out the accuracy potential of the little carbine.I never have shot a regular M1 so have no Idea what that would be.Used to know a guy who shot all his deer with a 30 carbine,so some must shoot fairly well.I of coarse would never do the same.If the thing will be able to hit cans at 50 yards that should do for me.