New
Find
Notify
Tools

25 STW range results!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Finally got a chance to get my 257 STW put together in between customer rifles and took her to the range the last couple days. Am very happy with it.

This project was to test several different products at once. First off, I wanted to test the Adams & Bennet barrel blanks to see just how well a sub $100 barrel would shoot.

Also I wanted to try out the Boyds laminate thumbhole sporter.

The action is a Rem M700 BDL which I fully blue-printed. The barrel is an A&B contour 34(pretty thin barrel, .570" @ muzzle).

The action is pillar bedded in the Boyds stock.

Starting with the 100 gr Ballistic Tip and Rl-22 with the CCI-250 and an O.A.L. of 3.540", here are the results for ten rounds of each.

73.0gr 3535 fps E.S.:36 fps
74.0gr 3577 fps E.S.:31 fps
75.0gr 3614 fps E.S.:38 fps(Extractor marks starting)

All groups were in the 3/4 moa range with the first two shots often touching. I was very happy with the groups but not so much the velocity.

I switched to Rl-25 using the same bullet and primer and O.A.L.:

78.0gr 3637 fps E.S.:26 fps
80.0gr 3765 fps E.S.:18 fps
81.0gr 3808 fps E.S.:16 fps(slight extractor marks)
82.0gr 3855 fps E.S.:20 fps(Extractor marks)
83.0gr 3909 fps E.S.:13 fps(Slight resistance in bolt lift)

Groups still ran in the 3/4 moa thoughout the testing. It is my opinion that the 81.0 gr load is the maximum working load for that bullet and 80.0 gr may be a better load for warm weather hunting.

These loads were tested during the barrel break in session and now the bullet will be coated and retested to see the effects of moly in this round. In other testing it has been found that moly increases safe velocity by anywhere from 50 to 75 fps.

In all lielyhood, I will load a coated bullet over Rl-25 to a velocity of 3800 fps with lower pressures.

This will be my coyote/pronghorn load. My other load will be hopefully with the 115 gr Ballistic Silvertip or the 100 gr XLC Barnes or a coated 100 gr Barnes Triple Shock.

Will post results of these tests.

Good Shooting!!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How did the stock hold up? Was it comfortable to shoot? Do you feel it helped tame recoil more than a standard style stock? THanks.

Posts: 330 | Location: Picayune, Ms | Registered: 03 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Outlawsix,

I really like this stock but my first experience with this style was a few years ago when I found an unfinished Fajen laminated Thumbhole Sporter for the Rem 700 BDL.

I had just purchased one of the very first 300 RUM's to hit my home town here in Montana and the recoil with top handloads(180 gr bullet @ 3400 fps) was a bit nasty.

I also realized that the stock was getting loose from the stiff recoil.

I ordered the Fajen and finished it in a satin matte finish and steel bedded the barreled action to the stock.

On the first range session, in fact on the first shot, it was very clear that this stock reduced recoil a very noticable amount. There are several factors for this.

First, it is heavier, we all know how that cuts recoil.

Second, the thumbhole allowed much of the recoil to be transmitted through my hand and into my arm instead of all the energy going into my shoulder and cheek.

Personally, I shoot alot of big bore handguns and feel I can handle more recoil in my hands and arms then in my shoulder.

Simply put, I would rather shoot a monster handgun then a monster rifle.

Anyway, I liked the ballance of the stock as well. It is not a stock I would recommend to customers wanting a stalking rifle as it is a bit slower to get into action then a traditional design but once the rifle is on the shoulder, I feel if is much easier to shoot accurately, especially from a prone or rested position.

When I started my 257 STW project I had already sold and fitted several Boyd stocks for customers and really do have a favorable opinion of the stocks.

As far as strength goes, I restocked a 375 RUM for a customer using the Boyds midnight JRS classic sporter and after 50 rounds the stock began to split just behind the rear action tang.

The crack was right on a laminate line so after talking with Boyds, we still do not know if it was a bad laminate or to much recoil.

That customer was headed to Africa and in a hurry so he ellected to just have me install support pins for and aft the action, as well as one in the grip where the stock was cracked.

After the job was done you could not tell the stock didn't come from the factory just as the Rem stocks do.

He has had no problems since then.

That same customer also had me restock a 338 RUM with the Midnight laminate Thumbhole sporter which I pinned along with the bedding and he has never had a problem.

As far as my 257 STW goes, since it is pillar bedded and both the action scews are floating in the pillars, I do not think there will be a need for reinforcement pins.

Anything over 300 Wby I will recommend the pins to be installed but do not feel it is needed for anything less.

If I have any stock failures I will lt all of you know.

Good Shooting!!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.That's the kind of info I was looking for.

I have thumbholes on my encore, and 10/22 but not on a Rem that needs a stock. The rem has a 25/06 sendero barrel on it so will have to open the barrel channel some and since I hadn't seen a Ross personally I don't know if this will leave too little wood in the critical parts. It is for shooting out of a stand so the thumbhole won't hinder me in any way.

Since Lane introduced the 257 STW it's interested me. I'll get one made one of these days. Keep us posted. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Outlawsix,

just sent a Savage heavy varminter home with a customer the other day fitted with the Boyds thumbhole. This is the Savage with the very heavy fluted stainless 26" barrel.

On all of my heavy barreled sporters I like 0.060" clearance between the barrel and the stock to ensure the weight of the barrel will not cause contact with the stock when shooting over bags or bipods.

Even with this clearance, there is still plenty of wood on the Ross as long as your smith takes his time and only takes what is needed they look very nice on the heavy barrels.

The Savage barrel tapes around .900" at the muzzle which is I believe more then the Sendero so you should be in good shape with room to spare.

With the 25-06, get the action in a good steel bedding and make sure the action screws do not touch the stock and you'll get great groups for as long as the rifle is shooting. Unless of course you shoot enough to toast the throat, then its just time for a barrel upgrade which is always a reason to be happy.

Good Shooting!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Didn't mean to try and hijack your post. The info was just what I was looking for.