35 brown whelen
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
any one shooting a 35 brown whelen?if what can you tell me about it. thanks

one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
I have one... expect about 100-125fps over a standard whelen.

Havn't shot anything with it yet. I expect it to go on a float moose hunt in AK in the near future.

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Don't know what info you are looking for. The brown Whelen is a blown out whelen with the shoulder moved forward. I'm not sure of the neck length or the angle but I believe it is 35deg. Major difference between it and the AI is you CAN'T shoot factory 35 Whelens in it.
An AI will gain you 3-4% capacity a Brown Whelen maybe around 6%(about the same as the 358Hawk www.z-hat.com
and around 8% for the 350Howell www.hunting-rifles.com

From my real world experience you will gain 1% velocity for each 4% capacity increase AT EQUAL PRESSURE.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a Rem 721 rechambered to .35 Brown-Whelen and gained about 100 FPS with a 24" barrel over the std .35 Whelen. Unless you just want something different from everyone else (which I did) then it's probably not worth the cost and the extra effort to make brass.

Posts: 152 | Location: West Central Missouri | Registered: 07 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got one I fell into a deal on several years ago. If I was building one I would go with the AI instead.

Posts: 65 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 02 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
Interesting round similar to the 358 Hawk

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote