New
Find
Notify
Tools

costs of parent brass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
So often when discussing wildcats you hear about the high cost of brass, or limited availability.
I have to say, when you're paying for a reamer, dies and rifle conversion, 40 pcs of brass, even at $2/pc just ain't a big enough deal to steer you in another direction.
If you have an idea that appeals, don't consider brass cost. 40 pcs will last a knwoledgable loader a looong time. Or get 100 pcs and gice them to your grandkid.
And same for "limited availability." If said 40-100 pcs are available, then they're available. You might consider such things if you were trying to come up with a wildcat to go to market, one you could convince the masses into buying.

So grab that 8x68, 6,5x68, 280 Ross, 416 Rigby, 45-100, 470 N.E. and run with it!!!!

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The above does not apply to varminters or freak-pressure types, or any others who consider brass expendable.
-Before all the guys shooting 6.5's at 3400 fps beat me to it!

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very true, BB, sometimes we lose sight of the trees in the forest, don't we? - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wildcatting has changed dramatically since I started 40 years ago,the internet has played a
significant role.

Many cartridge cases that were once considered
rare or unobtainable,are again showing up in the marketplace.

40 years ago,if you wished to fire a .280 Ross in the U.S.A.,you probably used altered H&H belted brass.

If you are able to find the .280 Ross brass in the quality and quanity, at a price you can live with,I have no problems with wildcats built on this case.
My answer to the post about wildcats on the .280 brass was not meant to discourage the use of it,but to point out the reason that wildcats built on that case are rare.

Most of the wildcats I have built,I probably never made over 20 cases for.They were played with awhile,then rebuilt into something different.

It's your dollars and your dream,so go for it.

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
BB,
I take a very diffrent track on this... the cases lost in forming are a sunk costs...

and, even low pressure stuff, like the 500 jeffery... even those geting ruined after 10 or 15 reloadings....

In fact, my personal opinion is that if it's a common brass, have a ball with it... if it's rare, improved versions are there, or find the parent brass.
BUT, if its already been done, I don't bother...
my 257 WSM was, in my mind, the first one made, as I had the reamer cut within hours of winnie/olin releasing the final drawings of the 300wsm...

was it original? NO!!! was it fun? sure? is it a barrel burner? I bet it would be...

jeffe

Posts: 38510 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gone after 15 reloads?! Yikes. That could put a dent in your fun.
And yet still, you shoot the 500 Jeffery 20 rounds max and you're done, right?
Do that once a month for over 6 years on 100 pcs.
Just want to be sure everyone considering a wildcat (new or old) thinks this through before letting brass cost get them down.
This applies to obscure calibers as well.

one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted Hide Post
I did my first wildcat (er, am doing: waiting on dies and reamer) on a 470 NE and got nervous for a moment when considering the cost of brass... then I remembered all that you are pointing out plus the fact that I was doing this for a single shot and having an adaptor made that would handle cheaper brass at the same length for fooling around and letting young'ns shoot it. Besideds, I shoot pistols a lot, I have a 10/22 for hosing bullets, a L1A1, for doing the same with effect, and 12 ga 3" mag double without pad (and with 1 5/8 oz slugs) for mindless pounding of the shoulder. That is not to mention the Ruger no 3 in 45-70 and a handful of other things that go boom. To wit: if you are going through the trouble of building a wildcat, it is not likely your only gun.

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote