New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: short 416 idea:
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
You could go with the 240 Wby case, essentially a 30/06 case with a belt and open it to 416. Not sure what the ballistics would be, but the '06 opened to handle a 416 would very nearly be a straight walled case without a shoulder, belt or rim to headspace on. The 240 Wby gives you the belt for headspacing.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 240 Weatherby idea is very much like the 411 Hawk or Whelen with the adition of a belt and .005" more bullet dia. so I would think performance would be very close. Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I have a .416 HESAM, which is based on the .348 Winchester, modified to rimless. It is so close to the WSM basic case that you can run the WSM brass through a regular die, then once more through a swaging die that ever so slightly compresses the last .2" right before the rim. My rifle is based on a Ruger Mk II and it feeds like a champ, but only holds two down and one in the tube. It easily makes 2300 fps in a 22" barrel with Hornady 400 grain solids. You might get that magic 2400 fps out of the slightly larger WSM case and a 24" barrel???

My suggestion to anyone interested is to get a "Classic" Winchester model 70 in .300 or 325?? WSM (since they hold three down) and have Montana Rifleman bore you a barrel for the .416 WSM. Call them first. They've done it a bunch of times and may have some suggestions. The laminated stock version Modlel 70 would be my choice for strength reasons (I've already got plenty of "pretty" rifles). I checked on a chrome-moly (in the white) barrel on Friday (for a different caliber) and I believe that it was less than $225, threaded and short chambered. They can also give you advice about feeding problems.

Posts: 7697 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote