New
Find
Notify
Tools

243AI & Cutom Match Bullets?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am working through my list of reloading options for a 243AI build. I shoot competitive benchrest (6PPC) and use a custom 65-grain boattail. I've got over 20K of these custom BT's and wondered about using them in my 243AI on coyotes or other predators.

Any thoughts on shooting this type of bullet in my 243AI would be appreciated. I'd also like your comments on loads and barrel twist. I use 13.5 Krieger LV barrels on my 6PPC and wondered if the same twist would be best for my 243AI.

Thanks.

Posts: 89 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff, I own 6ppc/6br with 1/14 twist like you good supply 65 to 68gr bullets.

Tell you the true never have tried those bullets in my 1/10 twist 243AI or the 1/10 twist 6RemAI.

In both rifles I've shot 80 to 100gr bullets and now Berger coming out with a 6mm 87gr for the 1/10 twist barrels. I saw a post on LRH about that bullet.

"We are now accepting orders for our new 6mm 87gr VLD
Premium Hunting Bullets! These bullets were designed for a 1 in 10" twist, which will shoot in most factory rifles. Call or email to place your order - 714-447-5428 or sales@bergerbullets.com."

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used custom 6mm BR bullets, for many years, to shoot prairie dogs. My longtime shooting partner, and bullet maker, Don Jones, showed me a little trick. You use a small center drill and slightly "flair" the bullet tip. This has no affect on the accuracy but, makes those custom bullets perform like ballistic tips.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I have shot many Berger 68 grain FB match bullets in my 1 in 10 twist Cooper, very accurate But I prefered the 80 grain Berger FB for best rsults.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote