THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    Can anyone tell me the Magazine length on a SA Model 70?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can anyone tell me the Magazine length on a SA Model 70?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Or the maximum cartridge OAL that will fit into a short-action Winchester Model 70 magazine? I know 2.800" has to work since that is the max COAL spec for 308 based rounds. How much room it there beyond 2.800"?

I am considering a project and I am looking to determine whether the SA Winchester will work to my satisfaction.

Thanks,
Mark in GA

Posts: 552 | Location: Coastal Georgia | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
I can get bullets like Nosler BT's and Partitions to about 3.05" in my M70 Classic 300WSM...I would be assuming to say that they use the same mag. box in the .308 based rounds though.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CDH, is that your throat length or magazine length?
I'm thinking the mags are about 3.08" internal.

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwana-bes' measure seems aboutright.If I recall correctly my SAm70(22/250) measured about about 78mm, disregarding the blanking off plate.
Wincheters 7x57 factory load fits in the box.Was thinking of making it into a 250Sav.,257r. or 6.5x55..... 6.5x54MS came to mind but bolt face already too large.