one of us
posted
To my knowledge so far we have:

.223 WSSM
.243 WSSM
.270 WSM
7mm WSM
.300 WSM

What future do you guys see for these ?? What potential for wildcatters ???

What sort of velocity would a .260 WSSM be able to achieve ?? What about a .260 WSM ?? With 140 gn bullets ??

Englander

Posts: 193 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Remington SAUM in between win cases

Posts: 261 | Location: SW MO | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have just begun to work up loads for a .25 Rem SAUM. So far 100 grain Noslers and H1000 do better than 3500 fps and 115s are at the mid 3300 range with good accuracy and no pressure signs. Standard deviations are under 1%. Barrel is Lilja 1x10 27". Cases are formed from 7mm saum. mike

Posts: 1 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 15 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As to the future on the ones you mentioned it's too early to tell on the WSSM's. The marketing hype on them claims superior accuracy.

On the 270 WSM it seems to be almost mainstream due to being a reasonable cartridge and getting a head start on the 7mm WSM and SAUM's.

The 7mm WSM may not make it although it's a good cartridge. There is just so much overlap.

The 300 WSM is a winner and may overtake many other favorites and last the SAUM's look dead.

There is talk of a 6.5 WSM and a 338 WSM but it seems we have to wait for the WSSM's to clear out first. I would guess that a 6.5 WSM might get the 140's up to 3100 fps.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would think the 6.5 WSM would be the cat's meoa.
It would beat the 6.5 Swede and the 6.5-284 Norma, both very good cartridges.
It would be an excellent choice for youth deer gun, very downloadable.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington is going to keep the SAUM cartridges alive simply because the WSM cartridges are too long to fit the Model 7 magazine. Kind of a stupid thing for Winchester to do, they didn't keep the "short & fat" fad to themselves by making their cartridges too long, they just guaranteed themselves a competition with Remington.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So far, of all the new cartridges that have been introduced, the 270 WSM appeals the most to me. I would like to see a 257 Saum or something come out.

Posts: 492 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I have been eyeballin' a .257 Something-or-other. I like the .257 DGR, Durham Jet on the smaller side but really am interested in a WSM,SAUM, or .257 Jamison.
I can't find the article now but Jamison had a picture of his .257 in Shooting Times and now I'd say it looks like a WSM case.
These bigger cases have a capacity close to the .257 Wby Mag. I seem to be having a tough time finding more info and drawings though.
Personally if one of these were offered in a factory gun I'd probably buy a new gun over trying to have one modified to work.
I guess that puts me in the catagory of those who are on the fence. I'd help string along the short fat craze one for the smaller calibers. The bigger ones don't offer any real advantage in my way of thinking.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe Chris at PacNor has reamers for at least one of the short .25s

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
big bore, big bore big bore!!!!
dang i want a factory 416 short.......
in a remmy [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana-be:
I would think the 6.5 WSM would be the cat's meoa.
It would beat the 6.5 Swede and the 6.5-284 Norma, both very good cartridges.
It would be an excellent choice for youth deer gun, very downloadable.

6.5 WSM seems like a very reasonable idea until you actually build one.

An owner of one that I know calls it "the barrel burner from hell!"

That is why my next rifle will be the 7 WSM, augmented by some very excellent target bullets from Carterucio and Berger!

[ 08-21-2003, 07:50: Message edited by: DMCI* ]

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote