Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6 mm Improved
 Login/Join

posted
I was looking at a sight today that listed the 6mm improved and the 6 mm ackley, i must be missing something here, i thought they were one and the same, some of you wildcatters care to shed some light on this for me, im thinking of getting one made up for long range yote and maybe some deer hunting, thanks for your input, bubba.

Posts: 65 | Location: texas | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
well, there is a 6mm Ackley, with minimum body taper to the case and a 40 degree shoulder, and there is also the RCBS version, same idea but a 28 degree shoulder. There are probably others as well. As long as you can fireform brass in the chamber just by dropping in 6mm Rem rounds and pulling the trigger, it would be considered an improved round. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Bubba,

There are several 6mm cartridges out there besides the 6mm Remington. 6mmTCU, 6mmPPC, 6mm Lee Navy. Any change to the parent case is an improvement. As for the 6mm Ackley, this is referred to the 6mm Remington with minium body taper and either a 30 degree or 40 degree shoulder. The most common being the 40 degree shoulder.

I have a 6mmAI and a 243AI and have done a lot of load testing with different barrel twist. I've found that I've had my best luck with the 1-9" twist barrels. They've shot everything from the 55gr Balistic tips to the 105gr Amax's. For normal varmint hunting, the 70gr Blitzkings and TNT's work very well. For the longer ranges, the 105gr Amax's work great also. For deer hunting, the 95gr Nosler Balistic Tip and 100gr Hornady SPBT work well. I've shot several 3.5" ten shot groups at 500 meters using the 70gr TNT's and Blitzkings during a benchrest match and have done better with the 105gr Amax's during practice.

The 6mm Ackley is a nice cartridge and I like mine. If you type in Mike J 6mm Ackley Improved in the Google search engine, You'll find Mike's web site. He has a lot of info about the 6mm AI there.

Catch you later,

The Big Dog

Posts: 89 | Location: Tacoma, Wash, USA | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote