THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    6.8 Rem brass - a candidate for wildcatting?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.8 Rem brass - a candidate for wildcatting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted
I have a bag of 6.8 REM SPC brass in front of me. A bit bigger in diameter than a .223, smaller than a 7.62x39
in diameter, holds about 27 grains of AA 223C at base of neck. Kind of a middle of the pack case. I don't really
find any reason to be enthused about the .277 bullet size - not many varmint bullets for the 270, yet.

I could neck it up to 7mm and shoot it a custom TC barrel for IHSMA.
Or neck it down to 6mm and rebarrel a 7.62x39 mini-mauser to shoot varmints with.
Or take it up to 308......

If the .223 Rem, 7.62x39, 6mm PPC, 6mmBR, 7mmBR, or 30 Herritt didn't exist, then I could more easily find
a reason to wildcat the case. If it was 45mm long instead of 43mm......

I don't know what to do with this case - anyone have any good ideas? I could make an adapter and shoot it
in a 270 Win!

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
It seems that it would work fine as is for IHSMA. Might need a longer throat for loading 130's or 140's though.

How about .257? Do you have a quarter bore? Might be just the excuse for one. Smiler

Or a .204? That bore size seems to be all the rage these days. The OEH-200.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a bag of 6.8 REM SPC brass in front of me. I could neck it up to 7mm and shoot it a custom TC barrel for IHSMA. Or neck it down to 6mm and rebarrel a 7.62x39 mini-mauser to shoot varmints with. Or take it up to 308...
I love this forum! I have this bag of brass, guess I better wildcat them and then build a rifle for it. And I thought I was miser for holding on to dies for rifles I no longer own.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nordrseta,

You are not a miser - I've got about 30 rifles
and over 80 sets of dies. Maybe I am the miser.
I am sure there are others out there that put both of us to shame.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Heck, I've got dies for calibers that I used to own guns for, still own guns for, and for calibers that I have yet to own guns for!

I wouldn't do a wildcat unless there was a reason to fill a gap. This sounds like a great little cartridge for a micro varmint rifle. Neck it down to .204, put it in a carbon fibre AR-15 flat top with a 16" barrels and have a blast.
mgun

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you decide to neck it to .30 you have what used to be called the .30 remington. if you go down to .25 you have the old 25 remington.

Posts: 978 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
I really like the 6.8 as is. Remingtons 115 gr Bonded Corlokt should be good for deer sized game...i used the 110 TSX this past fall on deer..worded very well. 110 Vmax along with 5 or 6 other 90-110 gr bullets for varmints etc. Mine is a 15" Contender...very accurate...nothing ive put in it has shot over an 1" (3 shot groups)

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How is the 6.8 Spc brass compared to the 223?

More capacity?

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not much more capacity. It is slightly shorter at the shoulder and a bit bigger body, but smaller
body than the 7.62x39. I am interested in it since it will work in a CZ527. It functions fine
throught the CZ magazine for the 7.62x39. The lips could be bent in a little bit. The magazine
will handle a wildcat of 30 cal or smaller.

Maybe I will find a donor 270 barrel and fit it to the CZ527 just to try the 6.8 REM SPC as is.
Anybody have a 270 take off barrel with a long shank like from a Ruger 77, for cheap or the cost
of shipping?

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
"6.8 Rem brass - a candidate for wildcatting?"

No more so than the parent .30 Rem. Rimless. Which, as I recall, was once used by guys like Harvey Donaldson, et al, back in the 1930's, to make rimless versions of their .22 wildcat varmint rifles. So, like the Dutchman said, "Under the sun, isn't not much new".....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote