Notify
Tools

25 Souper
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
Just for an example...

A Souper and Roberts loaded with an 87gr Sierra GK loaded to a 2.78" OAL have EXACTLY the same NET case volume...51 gr H2O. You can do the same thing with ANY pair of bullets...pick the one YOU like.

The Souper is seated 0.095" deep and the Roberts is 0.313" deep.

If you seat the Roberts out to equal the same seating depth of 0.095" you gain 3gr ...THAT'S THREE GRAINS...more H2O of case volume...that's 5.555% MORE volume or roughly the same ratio of case capacity as the original cases...~52.5 TO ~55 gr difference. You can gain that difference by "Ackley-izing" the Souper.

SO WHAT'S THE POINT??

Talk about splitting hairs and getting your shorts in all bunched up over nothing...anyone wanting to REALLY see the difference can MEASURE and WEIGH OUT 3 gr of H20 or powder and see just how miniscule and value-LESS this argument has become. The argument has turned into nitpicking WAY beyond nitpicking.

For all intents and purposes the two are equal as far as hunting is concerned. Barrel length has more impact on the velocity than case or receiver by a LONG shot.

Everyone has valid points to consider, but for the most part, just pick which one you happen to like and go shooting. All the changeable component parameters can be customized to fit YOUR liking, YOUR reasons and YOUR pleasures and what anyone else thinks is doodly squat.

Be happy for the choice.

LUCK

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
FOOBAR,

What is the idea of putting facts and logic into what is better conversation. rotflmo

I happen to agree with you but it would sure cut out a lot of campfire arguments. CRYBABY

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FOOBAR:
SO WHAT'S THE POINT??

The argument has turned into nitpicking WAY beyond nitpicking.

For all intents and purposes the two are equal as far as hunting is concerned. Barrel length has more impact on the velocity than case or receiver by a LONG shot.

LUCK

Foobar, I totally agree. I'm not saying the Souper is better than the Roberts or vice-versa. I started out to just simply ask if anyone was shooting the Souper and what kind of accuracy they were getting with the heavier bullets. All of a sudden, people start commenting on how much better the 257 is and why the Souper shouldn't even be considered. To me accuracy along with a well placed shot and a reliable bullet for the game being hunted is far more important than the couple extra f.p.s. in velocity.

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So pick you out a decent make barrel, in a 1-10 twist, have a good smithy true it all up for ya and go out and have some fun.

Life is to short to sit around and wait for someone else's dream to make you happy. If you wanted a 7x57 or 257 or even a 260, I think you would have asked for one right?

As for the other merits, yea there are quite a few things out there that might fit the bill as good, possibly even better, with less work and even off the shelf availability, but wheres the fun in that, anyone can have ordinary stuff.

Mike / Tx

One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
I know, VIP...something about this whole site seems to aggravate people or maybe agitate them and the pecker waving gets way outtahand WAY too fast...

Everyone has their own ideas which aren't any more or less valid than the next persons, but seems like the spurs come out way to fast and too easy here.

Even when I try to be civil, I end up being just as uncivil as the next. Reminds me of when a job starts shutting down...people turn totally rancid trying to hang on the the last breath. Frowner

The difference between the two volume wise is about equal to the difference between brands or different case lots OR even the range in a 100 round bag. Ain't no thang, Bro...

Pick the one you like and dance with the one you brung. Big Grin Cool

LUCK

One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
I have a 257 A.I. and love it, I do like the 25 cals for a lot of reasons, and am very interested in the 25 Souper, mainly because there is a lot of 308, 243 ect,, brass floating around to use to form into 25 Souper brass.

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a Souper, but the 257DGR is almost identical. The main difference is the longer neck, 30 degree shoulder, and .002 larger shoulder diameter. The other difference is in usable case capacity with 100gr bullets on up. The longer neck keeps the bullet from using up powder space in order to fit a Remington SA magazine box. I spent a lot of time with different cases and designs, playing with the numbers before the final design. That said is it more accurate than a Souper? In theory yes, but one thing about individual rifles I have found is "they" don't giv a darn bout theory. Every 257DGR I have built has shot extremely well, but so does my 250 Sav, 250AI, 257 Roberts. Any of these cartridges in a rifle built on a good action with a good quality barrel, proper gunsmithing, good optics, and shooter will shoot .5 moa or less with the proper load and .5 to 1 moa are pretty easy to obtain. I like the 25 as a hunting caliber, big enough yet recoil is very manageable with these rounds.

www.duanesguns.com

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote