New
Find
Notify
Tools

Herretts: 30, 357 ... any others?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Are there any more variants of the Herrett other than .30 and .357? I realize they use the 30-30 case as a parent, but I am interested in the shorter body of the Herrett.

Here is a thought. I stuck 30 Rem brass in my 30 Herrett trim die and got a beautisimous rimless version of the Herrett as a result. 1.61" long. Then I got goofy and took a 30 cal from a Nagant project and seated it to where the loaded length was 1.65, same as the 30 Carbine. This little sucker then fits in the Carbine mag!

No idea if it will do anything decent, but it will be fun to discuss at the shop on Friday ...

Posts: 327 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I think that there is a 7mm on the .30 Herrett (is that right?). Heavens knows what it is called. And if there is a 7mm, there is no doubt a 6, a 6.5, and a .25 cal. In performance they could be about the same as the TCU series, except... you'd have to watch the pressure a little more carefully in the Contender. I like my .30, would like to play with a .35 but have no real interest in the others. For me, the full length .30 WCF case blown out to min taper and with a single caliber neck would just about fill the bill. These have all been done, a .22, .25, 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm, and .35 (and .375 of course). But of course you already knew that... Sorry. [Roll Eyes]

I do find this interesting, even if I won't spend my own money on it.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote