New
Find
Notify
Tools

23 caliber cartridges
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Whatever happened to cartridges like the .234 Sisk magnum and the .230 Ackley ? When some western state declared .23 the minimum for deer, wildcatters answered the call.

Andy B

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andy

I have several of the 23 caliber wildcats in my collection. 23 caliber bullets are still made by one or two custom bullet makers but there's not much chance of it making a comeback. Considering the cost of a barrel, dies, and bullets, it's hard to justify.

IMHO, those that started using the 23 caliber in response to game regulations were really more interested in screwing with the lawmakers than they were in shooting deer with a 23. It would have made more sense to simply go to 6mm.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with you completely Ray. 23 was made to screw with lawmakers. I do recall that in the right hands they were fairly effective and I have often wondered if anybody was still using "grandpa's or uncle louis' funky 23 caliber"
The other question were there ever any head-stamped correct cases made?
Andy B

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote