THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    Difference between WSM ctgs and Lazzeroni ctgs?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Difference between WSM ctgs and Lazzeroni ctgs?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Elkslayer
posted
I am having difficulty finding case dimensions for the Lazzeroni cartridges, specifically the 7.82 (308) Patriot and the 8.59 (338) Galaxy.

What I would like to know is how does the Lazzeroni cartridges differ from the WSM family of cartridges?

I have a MRC SA in a magnum bolt face on order and am trying to decide what cartridge to have it built for. Personally, I�d like to go with a 338 WSM and would like for Winchester to get off their duffs and announce they will make it.

Posts: 452 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 15 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm Sorry I don't have the case dimensions for you but I just wanted to say that I think all things factored in the .338 WSM would be the less expensive proposition. PAC-NOR and others already list the 338 WSM Reamers, I have seen dies, and the brass is far less expensive. Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The case-head size of the Patriot and Galaxy are 0.578". If you look at photos in the magazine you can see the WSM is a bit longer than the Lazzeroni but it isn't as wide.

The WSM case has a rebated head and the Lazzeroni does not.

There are several excellent gunsmiths who are building a lot of rifles chambered for Lazzeroni cartridges.....Mark Bansner (Pennsylvania) is one that comes to mind....he has an excellent web-site and does really nice work.

P.S. I have 2 Lazzeroni rifles...a 7.82 Patriot and a 9.53 Hellcat and would be more than happy to talk to you about them. You can either send me a PM or just use either of the e-mail addresses I've listed (they are separted by "or" and the later is my home e-mail.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From Cartridges of the world - 9th edition.
Lazzeroni 8.59 Galaxy-
Rim diameter-.577"
Base diameter-.577"
Shoulder diameter-.557"
neck diameter-.368"
Case length-2.05"
Cartridge loaded length-2.80"
I don't have dimensions for a wsm, but I think the base diameter is .553".

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
The rebated rim on the WSM is .535", same as the Montana SA.

Based only on brass, its cost and its quality, go for the WSM. I've played with the Lazzeroni and while it's a good cartridge, the quality of the brass and its cost leaves a great deal to be desired. I already have a 338 WSM and I'm building another on my Montana SA. Before I'd consider the Lazz I'd opt for the 338 Jamison (I have one of those as well,) where the brass is just as expensive as the Lazz, but much, much better in quality. It uses the 404 Jeffery case.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

Have you got any loading data for heavy bullets in the 338 WSM? My father is building one to shoot the 300gr SMK and we don't have much to go on so far with the heavy bullets. Appreciate anything you might offer. [Smile]

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
The rifle was built on a M70 SA, as will be the new one. With limitations of the magazine and a comparatively short throat for 225 bullets, longer bullets intruded into the powder chamber too much reducing powder capacity for the most efficient propellants even while single loading them. I tried the 250's and have some data on that but it would disappoint you greatly. Best I recall without looking I couldn't even get 2500fps. I'm hoping to shoot 210's, 215's and the 225 Noslers, but it sure looks like the lighter of that group might be the best and most efficient, particularly in short actions.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote