New
Find
Notify
Tools

22-250 AI fireforming?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My buddy has asked me to load some 22-250 Ackley Improved cartridges for him. The Nosler manual says not to used fired brass for fire forming. Can it be used? He has some once fired brass that he was hoping to fireform and use as 22-250 AI brass. I was planning to load them with a 52 gr Nosler SP and 34.1 gr of IMR-4064 (the Sierra manual accuracy load for their 52 and 53 gr HP bullets in the standard 22-250) Is there a chance of case head separation trying to fireform once fired brass, or are we just looking at reduced case life since it was fired and full length resized for a standard chamber 22-250? Appreciate any insights. Thanks.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
There are several reasons I would start with new brass. First you are going to expand the case and shoulder. As brass is fired and resized it it work hardened forming could split the neck. Second if I'm going to the trouble to fireform I want maximum case life. Third 22-250 breass is only about $25/100

With all that in mind if the brass has only been fired once. The original chamber was not excessive and the shoulder was not set back to far to keep the brass from being a "crush" fit I doubt you would have a safety issue.

Starting with used brass for an AI just seems like false economy.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Paul. Sort of false economy, I guess, but we do have the fired brass and the 22-250 it was fired in is now rechambered to the improved version. We will get some more brass and fireform it properly in the future, but I thought we could get a few loadings out of these 31 cases. Maybe we can use some of the fired ones for our sample seating cases for different bullets. Appreciate the reply.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess, but we do have the fired brass and the 22-250 it was fired in is now rechambered to the improved version

Was the barrel set back before rechambering? If not the chamber was cut incorrectly. Factory brass should be a crush fit. Once the AI chamber is cut it wouldn't make any difference if the brass is from that rifle or not. If the brass is not a crush fit then you need to consider using a long bullet jammed into the lands to headspace or form a false shoulder.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Paul. I went out today and fired 20 rounds thru it. The accuracy was okay, given the loads weren't worked up and the wind was gusting. I used 34.1 gr of IMR-4064 with the old Nosler 52 gr Solid Base bullet loade to 2.375 OAL, just touching the lands. They blew out and formed the shoulder just fine. I will use the same load with another 51 virgin nickle cases (I realize brass cases would probably work better, but this is what he has) once fireformed, they will only be necksized. Any suggestions for loads with H-380 or IMR-4350? Other recommended powders for the 22-250 A.I.?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will use the same load with another 51 virgin nickle cases

Good luck with the nickel. I tried using it for an AI once and problems forming it then the nickel flaked.

I've never used H380. The one 22-250AI I loaded for liked 4064 and 4895. Mainly 4895. 4350 might be a little slow with the lighter bullet?.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have used both once fired and new brass for fireforming for my 250/3000AI. i have also used 22-250 brass necked up and have had no problems. i don't like nickle cases for anything that i shoot because it is hard. i think you may have some problems with fireforming. good luck!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I agree on the good luck with the nickel brass. I have some Winchester Supreme which I shot in my '06 Ackley and that formed beautifully. Some R-P nickel flaked on the first try.

I don't have a problem with using the once fired brass, but agree that for the number of loadings you get, it is better to start with virgin brass in the .22/250 AI. I would think that either Win 760, or IMR 4350 and a 55 or 60 grain A-Max style bullet might be more appropriate for this cartridge. Actually depending upon twist, I was and do occasionally think of a 1 in 9 twist and the 75 grain A-Max. I think it would perform with a degree of similiarity to the 6/284 as to ranging.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
I am using plain old Winchester White box 45 factory ammo for fireforming. I did not want to have to buy a set of regular dies just for fireforming.