Find
Notify
Tools

Air Rifle Pelleted centre-fire rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Time to 'work' on the air rifle pelleted centre fire again!

The pellet was left protruding for the pic. .1 grs H4227/AR2205. When fired, it was just a pfft!
The fired case.

So I increase the charge by 50% or so. Still a pfft! So I doubled the charge - that filled the case. This time there was a little sound. Not much, mind you. Slight expansion or the case were the shoulder used to be.

I didn't find the fired pellets.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 303Guy:
quote:
... prefragmented hunting 22's ...
That's interesting! The whole idea of the 'air rifle pellet' centre fire is the close proximity to dwellings and a road. Many of our rabbit populations are on small holdings which makes the use of 22rf's a bit risky. Noise is also problamatic but a sonic crack from an air rifle pellet is better than a 40gr 22 bullet overshooting it's mark! (The other option is a silenced shotgun! - Next project! I have the single barrel gun already).

I take it you don't have the CCI GameShok ammo available?

they are sorta like a CCI "stinger" round except the bullet isn't really a "bullet"
It's three pieces that are loosely swaged together

they stay in one piece through the barrel and in flight, but upon impact the fall apart into three pieces, each of which tends to make a seperate exit hole.

They DO NOT ricochet, and the tumbling pieces don't fly very far.

Especially since the round is subsonic to begin with. MV 1050fps

CCI #0074 "Segmented Hollow Point"

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I take it you don't have the CCI GameShok ammo available? ... CCI #0074 "Segmented Hollow Point"
Thank you for that information!
I shall make enquiries at my local gunshop.
(Of course, you do realize I no longer have something to play with?) Big Grin thumb

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A company named Samereier manufacrures barrel inserts for rifle cartridges, they are driven by 209 shotgun primers and either round balls or diabolos in 4.5, 5.5, 6.35 mm or bigger, for round balls up to 8 mm.

If using balls you can "tune" them with some shotgun or pistol powder, when doing so with diabolos they throw off their skirts. I used them in 6.5x57 R, they work pretty good, the energy is not to be underestimated and yes, they do los their skirts even with a relatively small amount of Red Dot. If I remember it well, I used a .22 lr case as a dipper.

Husquarna M98,

very interesting air rifles, I saw them on the IWA show in Nürnberg. Do you need a license to purchase them in Sweden? How much do they cost?

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
I am/was thinking of an insert using a piece of 22lr barrel and an add on chamber to keep length up for my single shot 12ga. I'm just not sure what the barrel length (shortness) would do to it. When firing pellets out my hornet I use a 22LR case quantity of H4227/AR2205 and that gets up quite a good velocity without any skirt damage at all. I do have a full length 22LR barrel ..... Mmmmm .... Now there's an idea!

Regards
303Guy