Find
Notify
Tools

6.5mm wsm vs. 7mm wsm??????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted
I wasn't sure where to post my question, so I put it on the custom rifle forum, but thought I'd give this forum a link to the discussion since the 6.5mm wsm is a wildcat. Here: http://forums.accuratereloadin...101067631#3101067631 Thanks for any input.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I looked at the 6.5-284, 6.5wsm, .270wsm, and 7wsm. I really don't see much difference in bullet weight and performance between the 6.5s and .270. The .270 bullets are the worst for BC and SD, so I kind of narrowed it down to the 6.5s and the 7wsm. I'm just not seeing any great advantage from the higher BC 6.5s at ranges I'm comfortable shooting (and quite frankly anyone has any business shooting at animals). You notice a slight difference at 400 yards and even at 500 yards the trajectory is too similar to really matter. I think I like the idea of the heavier 150 grain bullet from the 20 hundredths bigger bore in bear country. I spoke with Mark Bansner today and he said in the 7wsm with a 24" barrel I should be pushing the 150gr Sciroccos at least 3100fps and maybe a bit more. I think I'm just going to stick with the 7wsm. Thanks for the input guys. I wanted some feedback to see if I was missing something. I have to send him the scope (Swarovski Z3 3-9x36mm) for it and hopefully I'll have the rifle by the end of August/begining of September. I'll post pictures and targets when I get her. Thanks again.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brett,

I have many 6.5 and several 7mmWSM's. I like them all. I would have to say the 7mmWSM is a fantastic cartridge and hard to beat. I have Winchester Coyotes in this caliber and they shoot really well. You can get just as good of bullets in the 7mm as you can in 6.5. I shoot 168 grain MK's. I built a 6.5 SAUM that is really fast but kinda finicky to load. I love the 6.5X284 and the 260 AI. Of the 6.5's I like the 260AI the best. Build it on a Winchester Model 70 short action and you have a fine rifle. I have toyed with the idea of a 6.5WSM but as hard as the 6.5 SAUM is to load for I think the WSM is too overbore. Hope this helps.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On a Winny .473" s/a I'd go 284Win or 7-08AI.

My Coyote 7WSM was an amazingly accurate rifle and I hate Winchesters.(grin)