Notify
Tools

Re: 358 win mag?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
All emotion set aside---. I designed and built my
.358x404 IMP in memory of Jack Whitworth, a boyhood and life long friend of Fred Barnes. Jack worked with and later for Fred in bullet design and making. His all around mule deer and Elk rifle was a full length .375 belted magnum necked down to 35 caliber and blown out to the improved feature. He used what we now call the Barnes' original that was heavey for caliber pushed by a whole lot of H4831 compressed. Later in life he wouldn't shot an animal unless it all but would fall into his pick up. I mean he shot them pretty close and said he never had to trail them far. Those bullets worked. Oh! My rifle puts a 250gr. bullet out at 3100fps + ( measured)and the bolt handle comes up easy.Jack Whitworth was 40 years ago and must have been close to the performance I'm now getting. Has 35 caliber bullet technology degressed since than that we no longer have 35s that do the job as the Barnes' bullet once did?? Could there be a bit of sophistication creating a little amnesia , tunnel vision or experty-itise?

IMHO, even though I own a large 358 mag it really does not fill any real void, but than again neither do those short fat cartridges that firearms marketing is deluging us with. I think the answer to the question "Who really NEEDS it" covers this thread just fine. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote