New
Find
Notify
Tools

How about a 8mm wildcat?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What about a 8mm wildcat? Say something a little more powerful and a little flatter than a 30-06 but with a little less recoil than a 338. Something good for antelope to moose.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking of an 8mm-300WSM or a 338-300WSM myself.

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's always the 8mm-06. I never was personally fond of the larger bore .06 wildcats though.

My father has an 8mm/378 Wby Mag built on an older BRNO that kicks ass, but you said LESS recoil.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn Fjold, its hard to think with that video playing.

On an earlier post someone listed a 323 Hollis? Anyone know more about it?

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A slightly different version of the 8mm PMM (Poor Man's Magnum) Mark. Basically a 338 Win Mag case necked down to take 8mm bullets. It's a good cartridge, not very common. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
How about use a 300 win mag reamer with an 8mm pilot to cut the chamber. Then cut an 8mm neck and throat. Maybe you could get some inexpensive Lee loading dies and have them modified for an 8mm neck?

A quick run through Quickload shows the Speer 170 going around 3200-3300 from a 24" bbl.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan, do you still hunt with your 8mm-06 Ackley's? Talk about misunderstood and neglected "cats", this is it. This has probably the best combination of power, trajectory and recoil of any cartridge out there, but few seem interested.

Posts: 314 | Location: Abilene,Tx. USA | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Sam. I've been neglecting the poor things lately, playing with other 8mm's and such (8 X 68S and 8 Rem Mag), but yes, I keep coming back to the 8mm-06 and 8mm-06 AI. Considering the speeds of which it is capable, the available bullets work great (and the really unsung bullet of the lot is the bulk Remington 185 gr Corelokt), and it really is a great example of the fabled "all around" rifle. I think I'll take one north in Nov. for moose and bison (along with a 50-70 rolling block, just for tradition's sake). - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote