New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 458 Rem Ultra Mag
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted

Posts: 67409 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure several have already done it...

What is the performance of the long Remington Ultra Mag case when necked to 458 ? Who is chambering for it and who has loading dies ?

Have an extra left-hand Montana action designed for the RUM case family and it needs an excuse to be completed.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know, I know!!
But with no other changes but opens it to take 458 bullets, you'll get at cartridge that has alot of bodytaper and will feed like a hot knife trough butter. And the Lapua brass can handle a few psi's more than a 416 Rigby-case can!!

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I know, I know!!
But with no other changes but opens it to take 458 bullets, you'll get at cartridge that has alot of bodytaper and will feed like a hot knife trough butter. And the Lapua brass can handle a few psi's more than a 416 Rigby-case can!!

Arild,

True, but I don't think one needs to push a big 45 all out to make it work

So has winter started over in Norway yet? We had a nice snow last week, but it's warmed up and just between rain and snow at the moment, positively miserable I made the mistake of buying another pair of skis, guranteed to make the snow melt.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote