one of us
Picture of TC1
posted
Well, you wouldn't be the 1st
.22/.30-30 link

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks! It's good to know this has been done before; it will save time and money in not having to reinvent the wheel, as it were.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
to neck a .30-30 case down to seat a .224 caliber bullet? I am thinking this would be a fun cartridge for use in an Encore barrel from their custom shop. Has this been done before; what is it called if it has?

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 219 Zipper is shorter than the 22/30-30 AI and has only a 12-degree shoulder angle as opposed to the 22/30-30 having a 40-degree shoulder angle. What is the function of the differing shoulder angle; is it to build a higher "launching pressure" behind the bullet? I'm liking the 22/30-30 because the brass is so easy to locate. Any ideas where I can secure dies?

one of us
posted Hide Post
It has been around for 70 years, give or take. Called a .219 Zipper.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/zipper.htm

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Yes. You could call it the .224 Zippedy-doo-dah!

one of us
posted Hide Post
elde,

I believe the correct spelling is "sig" heil, which I am guessing is the German word for "say." Anybody know for sure? Anyway, I was cruising www.reloadbench.com/cartspec.html and found a grand listing with drawings of dozens upon dozens of cartridges. I'm kinda likin' that .22-06(Short): it's short, it's fat and it looks "balanced." I am wondering how it would stack up ballistically to a .223 Remington. It's about the same length in the case as a .223, but has a 30-06 case base diameter-- kinda like a .223WSM or somethin'.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The sharper shoulder angle creates more space for powder. This may not be one of Ackley's children, but he played with it a bit. He reports velocities that approximate the .22-250 or .220 Swift, ie. 3800-4000 fps, depending on bullet weight. It would certainly work in the Encore, but you should consider BullBerry or Virgin Valley for your barrel. Too, you might want to condsider just getting a .220 Swift and be done with it.

It is also similar to the .22 Short Krag and the .225 Winchester in performance if not appearance.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote