New
Find
Notify
Tools

24" or 26" barrel?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What do you think guys? Having an E.A.Brown 97D rifle built in 256 Win Mag and I am leaning towards a 26" barrel to get every fps possible from the case. Is this too long and would a 24" barrel get top velocity from this case? Going with a 12 twist. Need advice. Thanks.

Alan

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesI don't think anything longer than 19" is going to do you a bit of good with that stubby little case. bewilderedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alan

I have to agree with the bartsche. Don't forget, the cartridge was originally designed as a pistol round and, in fact, can be made from 357 magnum brass. A 19 0r 20 inch barrel will probably get you about all it has to offer. You might get a few more fps all the way out to a 30" barrel but the extra fps will be all out of proportion to the extra barrel length. JMHO.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Loadtech shows a 20fps difference between a 19 and 26" barrel

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote