Notify
Tools

Pellet Recommendations
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted
All,

I just purchased a new Stoeger X20S in .177 caliber for practice and some minor pest control. Any thoughts on who makes a good target and hunting pellet? I've got no experience with the newer, alloy pellets, but I'm curious as to how they perform on squirrel/rabbit size critters. I've seen the RWS Meisterkugeln pellets highly-regarded when it comes to accuracy.

Anybody have any recommendations in either category?

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My .177 rifle was not doing so well with RWS Match Meisterkugeln's---a tin the guy threw in with the purchase. Then I discovered why--they were too light--pistol pellets. I tried several brands and my gun shot best with Crosman Premiers--one of the cheaper pellets carried at WalMart. Just try and get the best group.

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You'll get better hunting results with heavier pellets.

Check out the variety here:
http://www.pyramydair.com

http://www.airgunsbbguns.com/1...s_air_guns_s/111.htm

http://www.photosbykev.com/wor...files/pelletdata.htm

One shot , one kill

Posts: 197 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
My .177 rifle was not doing so well with RWS Match Meisterkugeln's---a tin the guy threw in with the purchase. Then I discovered why--they were too light--pistol pellets. I tried several brands and my gun shot best with Crosman Premiers--one of the cheaper pellets carried at WalMart. Just try and get the best group.

In the modest research I've done, I've actually heard both of those things repeatedly. I did see when looking around that there are two kinds of Meisterkugeln's - rifle and pistol and that using one in the other didn't work so well.

I actually saw some of those Crossman Premier pellets the other day at Wal Mart. Strange and you wouldn't think they'd shoot so well in so many guns. For the price, I might as well try a tin and see for myself.

Thanks for the info on each!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
rather than buy several tins of pellets trying to find the one that shoots best in YOUR rifle, you might want to try this. scroll to the very bottom of the page and check out the pellets sampler pack.
http://www.straightshooters.co...caliber-pelelts.html

this is generally the best way to find the best pellet for any air rifle without wading through a bunch of tins that ultimately don't work

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Using heavier pellets was mentioned. Several years ago someone came up with the notion of a group buy on a mold from Lee so that a person could cast their own heavy pellet. This pellet was going to carry further and hit like the hammer of Thor. (didn't say it would work on cape buffalo---but didn't rule them out lol). This was contrary to what I want. If they made a pellet that had a parachute that opened as soon as it crossed out of my yard would be to my liking. Someone ordered one of the molds and had it sent to me. It was about a 25 grain--in .177. It was a flop. The pellets key holed. Someone said you could shoot them backwards. I tried that too and didn't get good groups and very poor penetration.

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
rather than buy several tins of pellets trying to find the one that shoots best in YOUR rifle, you might want to try this. scroll to the very bottom of the page and check out the pellets sampler pack.
http://www.straightshooters.co...caliber-pelelts.html

this is generally the best way to find the best pellet for any air rifle without wading through a bunch of tins that ultimately don't work

Cool! That might be the answer. I realize trying different pellets is like trying different bullets in your rifle. It can be complicated and expensive proposition. That's a ton of different types of pellets for a pretty reasonable price. I've seen a Gamo assortment that was several different types of their own pellets, but never anything that's all different makes/models in the same pack. Thanks for the heads up.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Gamo concentrates their pellet efforts in the lighter weight alloy types because these give the highest velocity reading- and spray like a shotgun blast. worthless.in general the heavier pellets give the best combo of speed/power/ accuracy. anything over about 14-15 grains in .177 has a trajectory of a mortar round. when you decide what works best for you buy them from Pyramyd Air( google them). their buy 3 and get the fourth tin free is the best deal i have found.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Using heavier pellets was mentioned. Several years ago someone came up with the notion of a group buy on a mold from Lee so that a person could cast their own heavy pellet. This pellet was going to carry further and hit like the hammer of Thor. (didn't say it would work on cape buffalo---but didn't rule them out lol). This was contrary to what I want. If they made a pellet that had a parachute that opened as soon as it crossed out of my yard would be to my liking. Someone ordered one of the molds and had it sent to me. It was about a 25 grain--in .177. It was a flop. The pellets key holed. Someone said you could shoot them backwards. I tried that too and didn't get good groups and very poor penetration.
there is no way a .177 pellet in 25 grains is going to be anything but a dud. i use 25 gr pellets in a .22 Air Ranger set at 65fpe and they work fine. but if i turn power up to 70fpe by increasing speed, they spray... even in high powered PCP's, 25gr in .177 is going to flop.

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Gamo concentrates their pellet efforts in the lighter weight alloy types because these give the highest velocity reading- and spray like a shotgun blast. worthless.in general the heavier pellets give the best combo of speed/power/ accuracy. anything over about 14-15 grains in .177 has a trajectory of a mortar round. when you decide what works best for you buy them from Pyramyd Air( google them). their buy 3 and get the fourth tin free is the best deal i have found.

I've seen that, too. All the Gamo PBA pellets (mostly) are lighter so they get that 1300-1400fps range. Certainly, if they're not accurate, they're not going to be worth anything. It seems like the sweet spot for most of the .177 pellets that are highly-regarded lies between 7.9 and 10.1 grs. I don't really care about optimal velocity nearly as much as being able to print tight groups.

I got the pellet gun from Pyramid Air (ordered it on a discount @ the NRA meeting this year), and they advised me of that 4 for the price of 3 deal.