Find
Notify
Tools

.177 air rifle and coyotes
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted
I have a Gamo that shoots close to 1150 with PBA pellets and was wondering if anyone has experience shooting coyotes with this type of set up.
Thanks
Sam

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No experience. In fact, what is a PBA pellet? Similar discussion comes up about shooting deer with a .22 centerfire. Guys with NO experience frequently tell experienced guys all about it. No experience, so just a guess. I know enough about shooting animals to know if that .177 PBA pellet whatever it is, penetrates into the vitals, it will kill that animal. Here we have some black squirrels that seem tougher and more aggressive than the other squirrels. I have shot some of them with my 5mm (.20 cal) Sheridan and most took more than one shot. I shot one with my .177 RWS with similar velocity to what you mentioned, and that ONE was instant lights off. Having strictly opined all that in regards to shooting a coyote, my GUESS would be it's a little light for the job, but could be done, perhaps with not a whole lot of regularity. To me it begs the question of why? What are the circumstances that you don't use a centerfire?

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
The reason for using a pellet gun is because my Mexican gun permit expires and want to keep the hunting season going with the air rifle. I’ve shot enough animals to know if you reach the vitals, more than likely you’ll have a dead animal. I guess my main question is do I have enough penitration or do they make pellets that I can get enough penitration to reach the vitals

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Samir, we both have the same question and I don't have any experience to answer. Question being will you get sufficient penetration? A few years ago on a cast bullet forum there was a group buy on a mold to cast a heavy .177 pellet. This pellet weighed about 25 grains and was to retain velocity and penetrate deeply, almost billed as suitable for use on cape buffalo (little hyperbole there). It really was what I don't want in a pellet. I shoot in my back yard and don't want it to retain velocity. A parachute at property line would be great. This pellet keyholed, thus hitting target sideways lacked penetration. Someone reported that shooting them backwards eliminated the problem. Tried them backwards and penetration horrible. Would dent a pine board. Only thing I can offer is contact the Acme folks and see if they offer any pellets. Acme being the company that supplied the equipment Wiley Coyote used to try and catch Roadrunner.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Samir--You are keeping the season going with air rifle. Before season ran out, what rifle were you using?

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Gamo is absolutely notorious for overstating their velocity. And PBA pellets are so light that they are VERY inaccurate with minimal penetration. At 1100 FPS you are pushing the sound barrier which further destabilizes a light pellet. In other words forget coyotes and focus on close range rats and MAYBE squirrels. If you doubt the accuracy claims I made, try shooting groups at 30 yards. I moderate an air rifle forum, own 6 PCP air rifles, and shoot enough to have my own 4500 psi compressor to feed them all.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Samir--You are keeping the season going with air rifle. Before season ran out, what rifle were you using?

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Gamo is absolutely notorious for overstating their velocity. And PBA pellets are so light that they are VERY inaccurate with minimal penetration. At 1100 FPS you are pushing the sound barrier which further destabilizes a light pellet. In other words forget coyotes and focus on close range rats and MAYBE squirrels. If you doubt the accuracy claims I made, try shooting groups at 30 yards. I moderate an air rifle forum, own 6 PCP air rifles, and shoot enough to have my own 4500 psi compressor to feed them all.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I won’t be shooting them with an air rifle. I hate coyotes but the last thing I want to do is wound one.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE