Find
Notify
Tools

RWS 48/52 tune up
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of WV3568
posted
Recently picked up an RWS .22 Diana 48/52 and need recommendations on getting it freshened up and smoothed out. Rifle is in very good condition and has been well cared for but hoping some of the roughness and violence when fired could be corrected. Thank you,

Posts: 75 | Location: South Charleston, WV | Registered: 13 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Might check with Mike Mellick at Flying Dragon for a tune.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16398 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They have a hefty recoil despite their heavy weight. I say recoil it's more like a vibration. I don't know what would tame it down.

Posts: 3807 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Magnum sprinters are going to vibrate/recoil and good luck reducing it.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a cheap Beeman (chinese made) that doesn't have a hefty recoil (vibration) but something about it will make my hand go numb and stay that way a few days.

Posts: 3807 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WV3568
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the responses. I will try and contact Mike Mellick and get his opinion.

Posts: 75 | Location: South Charleston, WV | Registered: 13 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wv3568 Please post his response.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A tune is well worth it. A 48 will feel like a different rifle after a tune. I had one years ago, sent it to Jim Maccari, was amazed by how it shot when it came back. JM no longer does tunes on rifles but still sell tune kits if you want to do it youirself.
Ended up trading the 48 for a .45 cal sam yang 909 pcp

Posts: 154 | Location: Sourland Mt. , NJ | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what all does a tune up consist of?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Usually new spring, fitted spring guide, fitted piston seal, proper lubes. Piston could be buttoned to make it tighter, debur/ polish where needed, careful assembly.
A tuned piston gun will just go thunk when fired, no vibration, no mechanical noise, minimal movement.
After a tune it will take some break in until everything wears in, depending on how tight it is made, but worth the wait. Just don't expect best velocity until a few hundred pellets go down the barrel.

Posts: 154 | Location: Sourland Mt. , NJ | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Need a like button.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16398 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote