New
Find
Notify
Tools

Benjamin Discovery
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This rifle is new but seems like it would be a kick if as advertised(1000 fps, easy to pump, 35 shots per tank fill up, etc.). I have not shot any of the pcp guns before and have limited experince with a few of the RWS and Gamo single cock 1000 and 1100 fps .177 rifles. I have been very impressed with their power and accuracy(gamo trigger was bad, so was the fir and finnish, but it shot well)

any opinions, reccomendations along the line of a pcp entry level gun?

-phil

Posts: 126 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a chance to look over one Disco at the local FT match. Fit finish and trigger are typical Crosman, owner said that it shot well but I diddn't get a chance to shoot it. The trigger is the same as any other Crosman so should be easy to clean up. It is louder then a springer but not bad for a pcp. As an entry level pcp I would say its a winner for the asking price (around $300 with pump) when you look at the current price of springers . It cost me almost a grand to get into pcp a few years ago I wish that there had be something like this available then.

More info available at the Discovery forum
http://www.network54.com/Forum/581291/

Posts: 154 | Location: Sourland Mt. , NJ | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not real up to date on Airgun stuff....so benjamin/sheridan are now part of crossman? I didn't know that. I am looking for a good airgun to hunt snowshoe hares around town...this might be good option. I was very impressed with the penetration on cottontails I got with my dad's gamo 1100 fps .177.

Now for some more sdvice.....what is better at cold temps? A quality spring piston gun or a pcp gun? I might end up using it in november when temps could be 0 or -10F.

I am thinking a 22 cal because I may occasionally need to use it on something bigger, say a red fox, at close range. I just have to make up my mind about a RWS 34, a 350 or the like or this discovery...

-phil

Posts: 126 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For cold weather PCP is the better choice. Internal lubes in the springer will stiffen up affecting velocity and scope zero. But that said I winter hunt with springers with no problem, but seldom that cold. Springers are self contained,simple. Rifle and a tin of pellets. With pcp you need an air source too.

PCP for the most part are much easier to shoot accurately. Springers have recoil and vibration,are hold sensitive. As you may have found it takes a little practice to get all the accuracy out of one.

Forget 1000fps its just sales hype, accuracy not speed make airguns work. 900fps with a .177 pellet is plenty,most springers don't make that with real pellets. I've killed groundhogs dead with a 750fps .22 springer no problem with a headshot. Shoot only as far as you can keep dime size groups. A good pcp with pellets that work in that rifle can do that at 50yds.

The Discovery and the M-34 are both good choices. .22 is a good choice for hunting game but that said I only have springers in .177 now. My .22 and .25 rifles are all pcp, if I need that much power its easier(and flatter shooting) to shoot the pcp. I still have a M-34 and a bunch of other springers in .177.

The M-350 will be hold sensitive and hard to shoot accuratly, shot one diddn't like it. I also sold off my M-48 and M-52 for the same reason. If you want that kind of power(+18ft/lbs) go pcp and heavy pellets but lots of shooters like .22 springers. A pcp will shoot flatter.

The Discovery is going to open pcp shooting to a lot of people. A couple of years ago a pcp was a $1000 bb gun, now things have changed. Don't forget there is a thriving used airgun market and deals can be found.

Welcome to the dark side of airguns

Posts: 154 | Location: Sourland Mt. , NJ | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen the Discovery but by the pic it looks like a Crossman so really good for kids or casual plinkers.
For a bit more cash you could have something like this.

http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/model.pl?model_id=348

That AA S200 is a bit different and real small, but seriously nice and wickedly accurate.
They show only the 12fp models, but they are available with up to 18fp that gun has a small air chamber so doesn't get more than 20 or so shots at 18fp in .22 per fill.
But you can modify a Talon or BSA type bottle to fill it out in the field.

Or as been said, don't worry about buying a used gun, most PCPs are pretty simple, if your at all handy overhauls are easy, especially Air Arms, or older Daystate guns are particularly good for ease of use and reliability.

Or the "Talon" you should find a used one in The States for bugger all.
They are good for long hunts, you get a lot of shots per fill and can have a second charged up bottle with you.

Try find a Airgun club so you can checkout a few guns, and see what you like.

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote