New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope adjustment
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have several centerfire rifles with scopes and for the most part, once adjusted they remain zeroed. Seldom ever have to touch one again. My springer has to be tweaked fairly often. Both base and mounts are tight. My pump up Sheriden has peep sight and it never needs adjusting. Was wondering what others experience on this?

Posts: 3807 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Are you using a scope stop? If not that may solve your problem. I've never had to adjust any of my eight high recoiling springers.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
the answer may depend on what scope you are using. very few scopes designed for powder burners are rated for springers. the double( back and forth) recoil will eventually destroy even expensive scopes that weren't meant to handle it. the first symptom of a developing problem is loss of zero as the scope begins to shake apart.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jdollar--I think I have that covered. Scope is the compact 3x-9x Leupold with EFR--their scope made for airgun---and I like it.

Posts: 3807 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
unless the Leupold itself is faulty( possible but unlikely) i suppose the problem lies in the mounting system. even there, though, you should see some signs of the scope sliding within the rings or the rings sliding on the rail. a scope stop might solve your problem if the rings are sliding around, taking the scope with them. otherwise, i have no idea.

posted Hide Post
Another possible cause is the way you are holding your air rifle. Are you using the "artillery hold?"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll second the " how do you hold it" Hold senseitivy, very common problem with springers.

Shooting off a rest or bench will be different then off hand also for the same reason. Don't hold it tight,let it move during the shot cycle. Place your hands in the same spot on the stock every time. On the bench put your hand on the bag, not the forend.

Posts: 154 | Location: Sourland Mt. , NJ | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
spot on advice tu2 . if you put a death grip on a springer, you may as well be shooting a shotgun as a spray pattern is what you will get.