THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AIR RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Air Rifle    Squirrels, rabbits, and other edible quarry — air rifle, air pistol, . . . or?

Moderators: big6x6
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Squirrels, rabbits, and other edible quarry — air rifle, air pistol, . . . or?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The last time I fired an air gun, I shot our Benjamin rifle from the edge of our driveway through the garage, pellets hitting my rimfire bullet trap, decades ago. And now Laurie is creating a garden. She will not permit me to expend my stash of .22LR shotshells, #12 shot aka dust, even on whitetail hind ends . . . which reverts to asking about air guns.

Since I am asking about air guns, I'm expanding the query to include occasional woods wandering during Montana's never ending open seasons on squirrels and rabbits. Available are .22 and .25 calibers; I'm ruling out .177 caliber as being inadequate. But if my ignorance is showing, please educate me. Unless it is integral with caliber selection, let's ignore what type of action to acquire. For my budget I ignore PCP devices. But I have an open mind in terms of rifle, pistol, or the unusual Crosman Drift Kit. At this point the best thing I can do is stop typing and ask for assistance.

Help with a useful decision.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sheridan Streaks (blue streak and silver streak--same gun different finish) are .20 cal which to me is the best of both between .177 and .22. They are pump up and have plenty of zip and seem to last forever and are fairly cheap to buy. I have peep sight on mine and it's about as accurate as my scoped air rifles. Older Streaks were not drilled and taped for peep sight, but newer ones are. Only draw back is most big box stores don't carry .20 cal (5mm) pellets so they cost a little more than .22's. Then again cost of pellets not much of a factor.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Get a .22 Benjamin NP XL. You can get a package with a scope for under $300. Reasonable accuracy., adequate power.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carpetman 1:

You touched on probably the only arcane air gun information I know. Sheridan brand and nearly all types of pellets are discontinued as of quite a while. I think their scarcity, collectability, and price rule them out for me. Since you recommend .20 caliber, are other air gun brands available that use it?

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Naphtali--There are other .20 cal (5mm) rifles, but I'm not familiar with them.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
look at springers, pumping gets old fast. Break barrel springers
are self contained, accurate and reliable. Great for roaming, all you need is a pocket full of pellets.

Posts: 154 | Location: Sourland Mt. , NJ | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Instead of pocket full of pellets, try a Wilkins pellet holder.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to

www. pyramydair.com

They carry loads of stuff and a lot of different brands and calibers of pellets.

Hip

Posts: 1820 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Diana 34 would be all the gun you’d ever need. Try The Airgun Warriors classified ads. Diana made a million of em. Also, a Weihrauch HW95, or HW50/HW99 (same gun but different designation depending on country of sale) are equally quality hunters/pesters. Stick with .22 (or .20 if you can find one) in a full power springer as .177 becomes unstable at “magnum” (whatever that means) level speeds and .25 is far too loopy of a trajectory.