New
Find
Notify
Tools

Modifications to an RWS.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I made 3 modifications to my RWS which for my likings were huge improvements. I considered the metal loop safety to be on the small side. My late gunsmith made a knurled piece that slides over the safety and has a small set screw to tighten it down. To me it has a much better feel. I am use to the idea of the red dot by a safety being an indicator as to the "fire" position. Best I can figure, RWS placed the red dot as a "locator" for the safety---not an indicator. The shroud this dot is on is a synthetic material. I used steel wool and removed their dot. With the safety in the "fire" position I took a Dremel tool with a round burr and just touched it to where I wanted the dot relocated. This would be up high (forward) and to the right of the safety. The round burr made a small dimple that I filled with red paint. You would never notice it was not made that way and seems a much more logical placement. The third thing I did was installed swivel studs. I can't imagine walking very far with a 10 pound rifle and not have a carrying sling. The rear stud screws into the stock and is readily available. The front thread is metric and I was unable to find a source for one. I am no machinist and don't have a machine shop, but I did cobble one up. I went to the hardware store and bought a bolt of proper size. I bought it with an allen wrench head--so the head would be round and smaller. With a bench grinder I turned the head down even smaller and then put the threads into my drill so I could spin the head against sandpaper to get it closer to round after my grinding job. Wouldn't it be nice to have a lathe? I bought another bolt that was larger and fit the hole in the stock. I took a section of this bolt and again on the grinder--made it dome shaped with two flat sides. I drilled a hole in the base of this piece that the previously mentioned modified head bolt would go into--with a tight fit. I epoxied them together. I don't have a welder either. I think the epoxy will hold--if not, will have to find someone to weld it. This all makes sense to me, but I'd hate to be you guys trying to figure out what I'm saying.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote