New
Find
Notify
Tools

RWS Model 45 Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I’m wanting to either scope my old RWS 45 springer or just replace it with the most accurate air rifle available. I’ve heard that springers are very hard on scopes, so unsure if something like a PCP might be be a better logical alternative. Saeed’s airgun reviews were great, but it looks like he’s still evaluating them before he makes recommendations. Any thoughts on suggested scopes or preferred air rifle?

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
TX: Here is part 1 of four parts by Tom Gaylord on the Diana Model 45. There are much better springers out there today -- the Air Arms TX200 and the Weihrauch 97 come to mind -- but all the spring piston designs are hard on scopes unless you look at one of the "recoilless" rifles such as the Diana 52.
PCPs tend to be nicely accurate and very easy on scopes, but you have to have a compressor and SCBA bottle or use a hand pump to keep them filled.
If you do mount a scope on a springer, just make sure the manufacturer rates it for spring-piston airgun use. Among the field target shooters, the Athlons, Elements and UTGs seem quite popular.
Great place for info is Airgunnation.com
https://www.pyramydair.com/blo...rws-diana-45-part-1/

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16404 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I used Hawke scopes on my springers before I got into PCP’s. Now it doesn’t matter as there is essentially no recoil and much greater accuracy. Just be sure whatever scope you buy has side focus down to 20 yards or less. Most standard rifle scope with side focus will only go down to 50 yards, a bit too long for air gun usage.I’ve got 6 Daystates and they all will group 3/4” or less at 50 yards, my usual zero point. Solved the air charging issue with a Bauer compressor and a couple of 4500 psi SCBA tanks. In some areas, your local fire department will fill your tanks for free, as the SCBA tanks are their standard air bottles.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I've had the same 4X scope on my RWS45 for about 35 years and it still works fine. I suspect most any fixed power $99 scope will give you plenty years of trouble free service.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found this Diana 45(RWS 45) some 4 years back. Made in 1986. Its still in NIB. I bought one in 1981 which later disappeared or became ruined. For this one here I still have the original box with hangtags. Here shooting ironsights. Yes these springers as I remember killed a lot of scopes. It wasn`t until THeoben came out with their Dampamounts the problem became solved. Its a good way to practice shooting ironsights even though its a close range.

Yes modern PCPs are was more accurate. IN 1981 it would have been unthinkable to have a .177cal shooting 1 inch groups at 77yards or just 1 inch groups at 50yards. THese 22grain slugs doing a little over 20 ft/ibs will penetrate ½" plywood boards at 77 yards(haven`t tried further out). Again just unthinkable in 1981. The quote Gaylord in a G&A artical: "BB you have come a long way".

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Nice rifles and good shooting, Jens. The PCPs are much easier to wring accuracy from than the springers.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16404 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote