silencer and ca air gun law
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted
Fellow says no supressor on the pellet gun in ca
Whats the scoop down there on this issue

thanks

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Search for silencer and firearm here; http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html

12500. The term "silencer" as used in this chapter means any device or attachment of any kind designed, used, or intended for use in silencing, diminishing, or muffling the report of a firearm…..

CA defines a firearm in the same manner as the federal government does in Section 922 of Title 18 of the United States Code. In other words, an air rifle is not a firearm.

That said, any silencer intended for use on an air rifle is likely to work for at least one shot on a real firearm. This would make it a silencer by CA and federal definitions. The ATF recognizes that air rifle silencers which are an integral part of the barrel and that are destroyed when removed (cut off with a saw) do not meet the definition of a silencer.

You should be safe with an integral silencer such as that found on the Gamo Whisper, but you will not be able to possess any detachable silencer for any type of projectile weapon in CA unless you are military or police. Ask your local sheriff or DA for better advice.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
will do

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
how do we know this about integral parts

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
integral and california

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Why don't you start a suppressor forum if you want to talk about them? Packy

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stradling:
how do we know this about integral parts

I'm not sure what you mean, but if you want to know how to identify an integral silencer, it is one that is part of the barrel. In other words, it is not a silencer that you can simply detach and move to another firearm. Most integral silencers are attached to a ported barrel. The barrel ports dump gun powder gases into the rear of the silencer and help reduce the noise. On 22 rim fire rifles, they are usually the least noisy. However they also lower the gas pressure and reduce velocity and power. Sometimes this is a good thing is the shooters wants to use high velocity ammo but wants the speed reduced to subsonic speeds (<1100 fps) to eliminate the sonic boom.

Some other integral barrels are permanently attached to a short rifle barrel (<16") to make the barrel a legal length without paying the $200 to the ATF. With the silencer permanently attached, the barrel is no longer less than 16" and there are no forms to fill out or tax to pay. Most people (myself included) prefer detachable cans to integral.

Ranb

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by packrattusnongratus:
Why don't you start a suppressor forum if you want to talk about them? Packy

Remember what Thumper's dad said. "If you can't say something nice... don't say nothing at all." You have any good reason to not encourage silencer discussions in the air rifle forum?

Ranb