Notify
Tools

When you're out of T-shirts...........
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How 'bout paper towels?? (video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai0mZaqayOs

Posts: 557 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington | Registered: 26 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Sinclair's, Midway, etc. Really. Forget the T-shirts and paper -- your guns are worth quality...

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BNagel:
Sinclair's, Midway, etc. Really. Forget the T-shirts and paper -- your guns are worth quality...

What is the difference between a 100% cotton patch cut from a tshirt vs one purchased from Sinclair?

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I've used paper towels in a pinch from time to time, especially at the camp. Rolled around jags, mostly. They're OK for "in between" cleaning but they're stiff enough that they don't get down in the botom corners of the grooves and lands. It takes a bore scope to see what they leave compared to cloth.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
quote:

What is the difference between a 100% cotton patch cut from a tshirt vs one purchased from Sinclair?

Just wasted time. If you have it and prefer to roll your own, great. Paper towels? Well, listen to Harry.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife use to do upholstery work and still has the button making press which includes dies for cutting round pieces of cloth. I buy cotton material by the yard and can make gobs of patches--cheap and to me worth the time.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I buy cotton material by the yard and can make gobs of patches--cheap and to me worth the time.

I appreciate the gun cleaning tips, but I must sadly admit that I'm too much of a T-shirt hoarder for running out to EVER be an issue.

If this is your malady as well, might I suggest a "T-Shirt-topped Quilt"? sofa

I just googled images of such and saw cool ones with denim backgrounds featuring Harley shirts. Cool
Others had sports team themes, college/ graduation memories, travels [ie, "Been there, done that, ..."] Whistling

My grandmother made one for me that is still cherished: a Necktie Quilt in a Starburst pattern. It's way cool to see the skinny silk ones from the '50's next to the '60's peace-sign designs, next to the obnoxious '70's patterns on hideously wide ties etc...

Here was a nice example:

http://quilting.about.com/u/st...d-Sham-Starburst.htm

If you are still reading... coffee

I sure hope this thread does not go down the political/ ARPF path... but, I'll risk a little Google/Wikipedia trivia:

"The internationally recognized symbol for peace was originally designed for the British nuclear disarmament movement ... in 1958. The symbol is a combination of the semaphore signals for the letters "N" and "D," standing for "nuclear disarmament"

A number of peace symbols have been used in various cultures and contexts, one of the most ancient being the olive branch. The symbol of the dove and olive branch was used by early Christians..."

"Have a good day!" Smiler

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I did not watch the video, but I have no problem using the stiff blue mechanic type of paper towels and I have never had an issue with thinking they do not clean as well as cotton cloth.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use old tee shirts for something unheard of anymore. I spit shine my shoes with them. Anybody else still shine their shoes?

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Broke down a few years ago a brought a brush for polishing the boots. To my utter shame and disgrace, gotta admit that nine times out of ten, just grab a sock and give the boots a quick buff.. Have,nt done any in the barrel cleaning with the blue mechanic paper towels, but for wood work, they are mighty handy for putting on stain or varnish. They don,t seem to leave any little bits of lint or stray strands like cut up t shirts sometimes do.
And I don,t have to worry about depleting my vast reserves of old t shirts anymore!!..

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am very hard on shoes and was much more so when younger. I learned in junior high that they lasted much longer if I shined them, then went into the Air Force for 26 years and so shining my shoes has pretty much been a lifelong deal. I have two pairs of Whites footwear which were meant to be oiled---but I shine them and after over 10 years both pairs still look new.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spent quite a few months as a pre-teen working after school and Saturdays shining shoes in the old barber shop we had in town. Made quite a few quarters and then some, and it resulted in me still shining my boots and shoes at the age of 58...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your're not washing your used patches? Soak them in a bucket of warm dishwashing liquid and water, wring each one out and air dry.

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I am wasteful, but patches are way too cheap for me to go to the trouble of washing and re-using them. I just bought 500 12-gauge pure cotton patches for my Whites for $12.30. What is that, about $2.4 cents per?

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
ANyone remember BW trading, Barnacal Warf Trading. I bought 2 boxes (12x12x6) of /06 patches in the early 80's and still have some. The small 6x6x3 box of 223 patches are gone.

Rich

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BNagle,
I used to buy patches according to bore size and most times found thim to be under size, especially .22 so that's when I started look for an altertative and tee shirts fit the niche,
It takes a little fooling around to get the fit right but it works and other than the solvent used, is free and that's what we won't be if obama is re-elected!

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Well, at least it ain't Bangle...

I just like to buy what I need, saving my free time to handload. Do what makes it a pleasure.

(If he's re-elected I probably will disappear from gun forums. As it is, with five years away from work it's all moot about hunting, reloading, etc. Will just have to play with left-overs.)

2 cents again

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
I use old tee shirts for something unheard of anymore. I spit shine my shoes with them. Anybody else still shine their shoes?

Yes, courtesy of time in the Australian military !

I use a brush, T Shirt and to get the best shine once the polish is on the shoe and shiny, a pair of lady's stockings ! Best buffer out there.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
quote:

Just wasted time. If you have it and prefer to roll your own, great. Paper towels? Well, listen to Harry.

rotflmo

I am not so time obsessed that I count the second or two it takes to clip the right sized bit of cotton to run down a rifle barrel.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
A suggestion, picture frame moldings from European manufactures come wrapped in a some sort of non woven fabric. I was visiting friend who owns a frame shop and saw the material in the trash can, and asked if I could have it.
I took it to the range and tried it. Two layers and it works great, plus it's free.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find for the most part that T shirt material is too thick to use with my jags that are caliber specific for the Pro Shot brand I bought last year. Some one makes a gauze like patch that are very thin and work real well for me.
Anyone try those horse blankets that Butch's produce. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
I can't get Hoppes patches to fit their intended bore sizes - even when cut down to half size.
Unfortunately I have thousands of the bloody things. Confused

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The absolute handiest patch I have found is called the "Professionals Choice". They make a cotton flannel that comes in a 10 yard roll that is about the same size as a roll of toilet paper. You can make your patches as big or as small as you want to. I have gone through 2 of the rolls in the last 3 years. They are in CA and their number is 323-589-2775 www.gunpatches.com might give them a try.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I use women's panties that I find from time to time strewn around the house.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
The absolute handiest patch I have found is called the "Professionals Choice". They make a cotton flannel that comes in a 10 yard roll that is about the same size as a roll of toilet paper. You can make your patches as big or as small as you want to. I have gone through 2 of the rolls in the last 3 years. They are in CA and their number is 323-589-2775 www.gunpatches.com might give them a try.

The link appears to be dead.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The other link is www.theprofessionalschoice.net
I didn't try either one but I just got this card in the mail so I doubt they've gone under since last week.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
Best patches in the world are cut from old flanned bed sheets.

I use a big paper cutter, the one with the finger removing big shearing blade. Experiment a bit until you work out the proper size, then stack 10 or so layers and wack away.

A plus is I can make long skinny patches to wrap around a jag.

Lifetime supply from a few old sheets.

Posts: 1449 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You all don't wash used patches? That way you'll never run out. Throw them in a cheese cloth bag and run thru the washer.

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been buying Southern Bloomer gun patches for years. Great folks. The best patches I have ever used!

http://www.southernbloomer.com/

"Onward through the Fog"

Posts: 41 | Location: Kansas City | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike,
You should really clean your guns more often than that. Go ahead and use your old T-Shirts. Smiler
Just kidding of course.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote