Find
Notify
Tools

Foam bore cleaner
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted
I finnaly broke down and got some foam bore cleaner to try and all I can say so far is where have you been all my life. I got some of the Outers Foam a Wally world. I have one rifle that even though it shoots fine it is almost hell to get every last bit of copper out. From the muzzle you can see a lot of streeks even after CR10 comes clean. Anyway I shot some down the barrel and left it about 20 min. Sure enough the patch pushed out some green blue slime. What do you know it took out some of it. So at the dirrection of others here I left some in for a while longer. When I came back and shoved a patch through it the foam came out very blue and there was nothing but bare steel. No hint of copper. A clean barrel and only 3 patches, I'm sold.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
Great stuff eh? I've been using Wipeout for about a year and it sure saves alot of time.

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Shooter973
posted Hide Post
I have used Wipeout and am very impressed with it!!! clap But it's a little dificult to find in my area right now. Are there any othres that seem to work as well??? Confused The Outers is pretty available but I haven't ried it yet. Still have most of a can of Wipeout. thumb

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posts: 347 | Location: Ogden, Utah (Home of John M. Browning) | Registered: 08 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
I've got a buddy that uses Outers; seems to work about like Wipeout. You can use the Accelerator with Wipeout to speed process; but thats about the only advantage I'm aware of.

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coltchris:
I've got a buddy that uses Outers; seems to work about like Wipeout. You can use the Accelerator with Wipeout to speed process; but thats about the only advantage I'm aware of.

FWIW - Wipeout does not have ammonia in it.

Does the Outers?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been using wipeout since it first came out.
I think it's the cats meow and am selling lots of my friends on using it. I too, got low on inventory and tried some "break free" foam. That stuff was under such high pressure that on my first application it went through the barrel....out the action...and hit the wall 10ft away. Made me even more of a wipeout convert. I have guns that come clean in about 2 hours with one application and others that need to sit overnight. I like wipeout cause I've never heard of anyone "frosting" a bareel with it. Its gonna be hard to get me to try anything else for quite a while.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I, like others, am sold on Wipeout. I use to use Sweet's 7.62 with the ammonia in it. Not only did you have to scrub and brush the barrel but I ran everyone out of the house with the smell. Wipeout is the easiest way to get a barrel clean. Little effort and no smell.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have been using Wipe Out for a few years and am happy with it.

Came across a very serious hunter who had also used Wipe Out with success but had quit using it. Asked why.

He said that it took away an important part of the evening activity around the campfire. He has returned to using various traditional solvents and brushes which require lots of pushing cleaning rods through bores over and over because that is what one does in the evening in camp while they smoke, drink, and tell stories. Tradition is important.

He said that he still uses Wipe Out if all he wants is a clean bore.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Wipe-Out is about the best thing to come around since the cleaning rod. There is however 1 caveat. There are certain finishes that don't get along well with it. Wipe-out removed some of the finish around the muzzle of my Steyr Scout. I still use it (even on the Scout) but I don't let it sit on the finish.
Most of the time it's no issure whatsoever but I do want to give the heads up............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another good one is Gunslick Foam Bore cleaner, it flat works!

As was previously mentioned, don't let anything that eats copper get on the bluing or the stock finish. Sweets did a job on the receiver finish of one of my rifles.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
I'm another believer of Wipe-Out!!!!!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I began using WipeOut about one year ago. I am careful with it. All I can say is, it flat works. Enough said! Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MarkH
posted Hide Post
Forrest Foam works for me on the big bores and saves a lot of patches. It also removes copper.

Mark

Hunting is getting as close as you can, shooting is getting as far away as possible.

Posts: 537 | Location: Worcestershire, England | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What manufacturer makes Wipe Out? I can find the Outers stuff but it isn't Wipe Out.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Here it is on Midway

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=784639

I'm about out but have a full can of Outer's. The only problem I see with it is that it has a tube on it that won't detach to spray from the chamber end. This tube will not fit in the muzzle end and so if you try to spray it into the muzzle then some escapes around the tube end/muzzle junction. If you spray it from the chamber you can't see what you are doing. Also the Outers doesn't expand as predictably as the Wipe Out.

When I use Wipe Out a split second burst from the muzzle will fill the barrel in about 3 to 4 seconds. I spray at the muzzle, drop the can real quick and put my finger over the muzzle. I have a long handled screw driver with 3 big patches waiting in the bolt shroud and when I see the foam at the chamber I stuff the 3 patches in and stop the expansion. Let my finger off the muzzle and have a rag for whatever little bit comes out.

No mess. I don't think the Outers is going to work as well. Frowner

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i bought a length of hose from an aquarium and sweated about a 3 inch section onto the end of the wipeout can spout.It fits nicely into a 30 cal barrel and lets me squirt the stuff without the messy backfires I used to get.A foam earplug goes in the chamber end and is held in place with my finger to stop the foam pressure from pushing it out.Once done, I hold an old rag over the muzzle for the excess foam until it stops expanding , then place an old bucket under the muzzle to catch drips.i leave for a few hours to overnight and then patch out.Don't get this stuff on any wood finishes as it loves the stuff.It also works well on cosmoline.I let some get into a magazine by accident and the next day the left over cosmoline ran out like a brown sludge.
rob

"the older I get, the better I was"

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried some Gunslick Foam Bore cleaner today on a heavily copper fouled blued bbl. 2 applications at 20 min. each, and only very minor traces of copper are left in the bore.

I'm sold.

I saw someone write "Where have you been all my life" and I can't agree more.

EMC2

Posts: 37 | Location: South Central Long Island, NY | Registered: 13 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MarkH:
Forrest Foam works for me on the big bores and saves a lot of patches. It also removes copper.

Mark

I have also tried Forrest Foam. Shaving foam or whipped cream will do the job as well.

Fritz

The true and only Fritz Kraut

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Keep it off a scope too, bad news on scopes.

Mike

Posts: 21200 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MarkH
posted Hide Post
Hey Fritz

Do you find that wasps can block up the bore when using whipped cream, especially in the summer?? stir

Hunting is getting as close as you can, shooting is getting as far away as possible.

Posts: 537 | Location: Worcestershire, England | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Woods,
Try this, insert the tube firmly into the neck area of the chamber and depress the button holding a finger(opposite hand) over the muzzle until you feel it(solvent) touch your finger. No waste and nothing in the chamber if done properly.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got some clear plastic tubing at the hardware store. 3/8 outside 1/4 id fits over the spout of the wipeout can. cut long enough to go in the chamber tight to the shoulder Just a short squirt will be enough. I set a trash can under the muzzle to catch the excess. I never get any on the wood or in the action
Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I can't speak to any of the other foaming bore cleaners, but I know Wipe Out works fantastic. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wipe Out comes from a company about 30 miles from where I live in Kansas. The company's name is Paul Co., Inc. The address is P.O. Box 171, Paola, Ks. 66071. The telephone number is 785-883-4444. The e-mail is gethelp@paulcousa.com and the website is WWW.SHARPSHOOTR.COM. At least that is how it is listed on the can. I really like this stuff. Surgical tubing works great as the tubing to facilitate getting the stuff into the barrel. It sure comes out fast and it sure works. Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cut the cone shaped nozzle off a plastic squeeze bottle. I cut the tip of the nozzle a little smaller than the plastic hose that comes with the can of Gunslick/outers (same stuff) foaming bore cleaner. Warm the plastic hose in some hot water and jam it into the large end of the cone until it sticks out the small end of the cone a little.
Now I can insert this cone on hose combination into the rifle chamber the wide end of the cone is biger than the rifle chamber and seals tight so I don't get any back spray when I shoot the foam down the bore. Work great Just find a plastic squeeze bottle with cone nozzle, the wide base end of the cone must be larger than the chamber width.

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
if god made anything better than wipeout and sex, he kept it to himself.

PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS, HANDICAPPED TYPIST.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

IT'S OK......I'VE STARTED UP MY MEDS AGAIN. THEY SHOULD TAKE EFFECT IN ABOUT A WEEK. (STACI-2006)

HAPPY TRAILS

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

BILL

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote