New
Find
Notify
Tools

What works best on carbon fouling?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have recently acquired a bore scope. Gee, I wish I hadn't ...

It turned out that my barrels are heavily fouled with encrusted carbon. Underneath I found some more copper and then again carbon fouling.
All this within about 3 inches forward of the chamber. The rest of the barrels is perfectly clean.

So far I've been using Forrest bore cleaning foam. This is basically the European version of Wipe-Out.

I have found that copper removal does not really pose a problem. I have some very efficient, ammonia based stuff for that (Robla Solo Mil). But the carbon build up is more than stuborn. I've tried Birchwood Casey's No.77 (Blackpowder solvent) on it with mediocre results.

Does anyone of you folks have a better solution against carbon build up?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a great article on exactly that issue, I use Hoppe's Elite for the carbon fouling, works extremely well.

http://www.6mmbr.com/borecleaning.html

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just read the article. It mentions that Hoppe's Elite is the same as MPro 7. This is absolutely new to me. And I've heard a lot of good about MPro 7,
I'll try it. Thanx.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Please be aware there are several Elite cleaning solutions, the one that works on carbon fouling is the "Gun Cleaner", it's a clear liquid, comes in a pump spray bottle, although what I've bought looks like the Cabelas packaging, not what's on the Hoppe's page.

http://www.hoppes.com/products/elite_gun_cleaner.html

http://www.cabelas.com/spod-1/0028834.shtml

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of flutedchamber
posted Hide Post
Snot works well for carbon. Mix equal parts Kroil and black powder bore cleaner. Shake before using. Run wet patch thru bore, let soak, scrub with brush and get out all kinds of nasty crap that was left behind.

I didn't believe in the stuff until I used it on a clean S&W 41 target pistol. The crap that came out I would have never believed could hide in a "clean" shiny barrel.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

You can trust the government. Look how well they took care of the American Indian...

Posts: 425 | Location: New Jersey The state sucks, but it's better than living in France. | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
So far, MPro 7 is the best I've found to remove carbon. It doesn't do much against copper, though.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andre Mertens:
So far, MPro 7 is the best I've found to remove carbon. It doesn't do much against copper, though.

Is that the liquid stuff then or the gel?

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
McFox
A couple other suggestions.
Find some GI bore cleaner, surplus from WWII. It looks awful and smells worse but cleans out the carbon.
Make a batch of Ed's Red, a home made cleaner from stuff from Walmart or any hardware-automotive store.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only solution to your problem is to short stroke JB on a jag and pass a copper brush with patch and JB,repeatedly.Carbon fouling and copper build-up ahead of the throat are two different things.I am not a dentist but I see it as brushing after a meal and mechanically removing tarter build-up.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
MCFox,
Clear liquid, bio-degradable in a pump-spray bottle.
http://www.mp7.com/

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
use this for carbon fouling[URL= ]sc[/URL]

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
JB on a snug patch with a jag and short stroke the area.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shooter's Choice is not a bad gun solvent/cleaner but as far as working on the kind of stuff they're talking about......naaaaaw. I used it for years, switched to Butch's Bore Shine, I'm not sure there's really much difference in the two, I just found a bargain on a few quarts of Butch's.....nearly out again.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flutedchamber:
Snot works well for carbon. Mix equal parts Kroil and black powder bore cleaner. Shake before using. Run wet patch thru bore, let soak, scrub with brush and get out all kinds of nasty crap that was left behind.

I didn't believe in the stuff until I used it on a clean S&W 41 target pistol. The crap that came out I would have never believed could hide in a "clean" shiny barrel.

OK, I'm willing to try SNOT, I've got Kroil, what brand or where do you get "black powder bore cleaner"?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use IOSSO bore paste on a patch wrapped around a nylon brush. JB Bore Bright works really well also. The nylon brush keeps good pressure on the patch and is easier to short stroke than a bronze brush.

Posts: 132 | Location: Huntertown,Indiana | Registered: 11 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have any of you tried the foaming "Spray Engine Degreaser"?

The reason I ask is because I was cleaning one of the Mowers the other day and had some Carbon Residue on the frame that came out of the muffler. Only been mowing with it 28-29 years and it just got onto the fame over time. Also had some typical Engine Grime and needle/leaf trash on the block, so I got a can of generic Engine Degreaser(aka Wal-Mart Super Tech) to use on it.

Apparently got some of the Foam onto the Carbon, because it was gone as I hosed the Engine down. Didn't even think about it until I saw this thread.

It did remove some "Paint" from the Engine Block too, but it mentioned that was a possibility on the can. So, I can see where " I " could wreck a stock with it if I went wild spraying the Foam around.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of flutedchamber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:

OK, I'm willing to try SNOT, I've got Kroil, what brand or where do you get "black powder bore cleaner"?

You can use any brand black powder bore cleaner. It is sold in most any store that sells regular bore cleaner.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

You can trust the government. Look how well they took care of the American Indian...

Posts: 425 | Location: New Jersey The state sucks, but it's better than living in France. | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:

I used the consentrate from Knight. Works great.

Political correctness offends me.

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
McFox - Be very carefull with that "Robla Solo" . I came in from shooting and ran a few patches of this to clean two rifles. It was a warm summer night and I took 20 minutes to have supper. The solution was dry when I returned. One barrel was OK . The Douglas .25/06 was badly pitted in the throat. I had 300 rounds thru this and it shot under .3 at 100. The day before the Winchester 75 gr load was 3690 and 10 fps varation . After this it was 3540 and varied 80+ fps. The groups were now vertical strings 3"X.3 horizontal. When I looked at the throat I scrapped that barrel. It was now extremely pitted in the throat area only .

If you use this Do not let this stay in the barrel for longer than 10 minutes . AND NEVER let the water evaporate. I had used 20 bottles cleaning customers gun with not a problem when I did this to my rifle being in a hurry to have supper.

I also etched a tool steel cutter on a neck turning tool with this solution cleaning brass off the pilot. The fumes did this .

Robla Solo does not go near my barrels now.
There are much better and safer things to use these days.

Harry Pope used ammonia to clean rifle barrels . In the twentys this was a common method of cleaning -see Hatchers Notebook. But they all said to fill the barrel and never let it dry . They would extend the barrel with a rubber sleave so that the solution was above the barrel.

"

I use IOSSO bore paste on a patch wrapped around a nylon brush. "

So do I -a great idea. The black powder gel by Shooters Choice works well also.

Glenn

Posts: 200 | Location: Calgary- Alberta- Canada | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonewall-
yes, you're right with your remarks on Robla. It can be very agressive. But I use it very carefully. If I don't have the time to attend to the barrel a couple of minutes after having applied Robla, I use Forrest bore cleaning foam instead. Also works well and it can stay in the barrel overnight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try GMC Combustion Chamber cleaner.It hammers carbon and is barrel safe.Smells and looks like Butch's Bore Shine too.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try using CLR or Lime Away cleaners. A heavily fouled FAL or M1A gas piston cleans up like a breeze, also makes cleaning up the cylinder face on stainless revolvers easy. Have been using this stuff a long time with no ill results.

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone here tried slip2000 copper cutter? I tried the otger day in one of my rifles. I followed the instructons on the package but the patches did not seem to coem out with much coper (they kept the original red color of the solution), so i just dried the bore with several dry patches and ran a patch of break free for storage overnight. Next day i starded cleaning once again and the firs patch was totally blue. I simply dont understand how there could be that much solvent left in the bore after i had passed several dry patches through it. HAs anyone experienced something similar?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." (Attributed to George Orwell).

Posts: 72 | Location: Aalborg Denmark (sometimes Mexico) | Registered: 12 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use J&B Bore Paste, or Remclean.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used most of the different cleaners, have had good results with MPro7, and actually like KG-1 better although it is a very similar product to MPro7. Will possibly be trying Slip2000 Carbon cutter.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
About any cleaner works fine for corbon fouling. I like Hoppes, Rem Oil or whatever, its easy to get out..

The worst thing is copper wash or fouling, but Wipe Out gets it out..

Remember you have to get the bore surgically clean, that is more likely to be counter productive.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41841 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote