New
Find
Notify
Tools

Organizing cleaning rods
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone out there have a good way of storing cleaning rods? I have several Dewey rods and they are just leaning in the corner of my work bench. How do you store your rods? TIA

Posts: 2392 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ohiosam:
Does anyone out there have a good way of storing cleaning rods? I have several Dewey rods and they are just leaning in the corner of my work bench. How do you store your rods? TIA

A couple of nails, screws, or dowels (angled slightly upward) in a board spaced slightly wider than the rod. Attach the board to the wall, place the rod in between the nails (or whatever) and the handles will keep them from falling to the floor.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
My neighbor has 3/8" holes drilled in the back of his workbench near the wall, with the cleaning rods hanging straight down.

I have mine laying sideways on the 2x4 that I bolted to the wall under my bench that I mounted the back legs of the bench too. The angle braces in the middle of my reloading bench mount to that 2x4 also.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I use "cup hooks" that I screw into the wall and leave horizontally aligned. It works well right now because I keep the rods in a corner and you can of course put them into the wall all the way into the corner. They are installed so the rods hang vertically.

I have a screwdriver rack that I've been meaning to put up when I get some more decent cleaning rods, here is one with the screwdrivers:

I have also thought a fishing rod holder would be convenient too.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of JVD22250
posted Hide Post
You can cut the top out of a 20 oz. pop bottle and nail it to the wall upside down. The rod goes throug the top and just sits there, waiting for you to dirty a rifle!

Cheap and keeps them out of the way.

Hope this helps.

John VanDusen
Ishpeming, MI
"YOOPERLAND U.S.A."

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a length of PVC pipe with caps on each end . keeps the rods from getting bent or broken or wrecked when transporting also.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a rod rack from Midway. Doesn't cost a lot and works well.

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
I actually keep mine in the cardboard tube Midway shipped my (3) cleaning rods in. Very stout, for cardboard. Just Sharpie'd the individual sleeves near the handle to mark the size.

Ag ja!

BNagel

Posts: 4854 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
My neighbor has 3/8" holes drilled in the back of his workbench near the wall, with the cleaning rods hanging straight down.

I have mine laying sideways on the 2x4 that I bolted to the wall under my bench that I mounted the back legs of the bench too. The angle braces in the middle of my reloading bench mount to that 2x4 also.

Thats how I have mine. neighbor?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
PVC pipes affixed on the wall. Cleaning rods are slipped in and stay clean.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good set up Andre and I use the same one plus have four such tubes in my pick up topper for travelling and just slip them in their appropriate length tubes for trips to the range and out of the way yet easy to get at for use. Not expensive to make either. Again, nice photo and good looking Deweys and would venture the others are Parker Hale???

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
You're correct on all counts, Driver Smiler

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote