THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUN CLEANING FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bore cleaners Butches Bore Shine anygood?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gordy
posted
I live in Newfoundland a province on Canadas east coast. Gun cleaning supplies are hard to get. I can get Butches Bore Shine. Has anybody found this stuff anygood?
regards Dan

Posts: 45 | Location: nfld canada | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gordy:
I live in Newfoundland a province on Canadas east coast. Gun cleaning supplies are hard to get. I can get Butches Bore Shine. Has anybody found this stuff anygood?
regards Dan

Butch's bore shine that you can get is certainly better than other stuff that you can't get. Butch's isn't necessarily my favorite but it works pretty well and should serve you just fine................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
I use Butches. It works well enough. IMHO, it works better that Shooters Choice or Hoppes Benchrest. For really stubborn, heavy copper, I use Sweets and/or JB Paste. I haven't used any foams or homebrew solvents, so I can't comment on their effectiveness.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch's is good stuff. Not as aggressive as Montana Extreme which I like for the reallly fouling but good nonetheless.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch's isn't bad as a relatively mild bore cleaner. Turns out though that GM TOP engine cleaner (TEC) P/N 1052626 is the SAME stuff ... except it's cleaner. You may be able to get this cheaper than Butch's.

I do like to follow with a preservative oil such as Break Free.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I've used a lot of Butches, and it's all you need if you stay on top of things. Not the most aggressive, but pretty good. If you can get some J.B.'s or Flitz to take off some high spots and scrub some hard carbon out of the throat once in a while, you are good to go.

I like Wipe-out better, but that's because it suits my lazy side. JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gordy
posted Hide Post
I tried to get Wipeout but couldn't find a dealer on the island. We can't even find CLP all the time. It may be in stock or may not be.
regards
Dan

Posts: 45 | Location: nfld canada | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE] Turns out though that GM TOP engine cleaner (TEC) P/N 1052626 is the SAME stuff ...

I don't think so and I would love to here Butch Fisher's response to this!!! Big Grin

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch can believe what he wants ... GC/MS says so. (GC/MS is a gas chromatograph coupled with a mass spectrometer. Is the most rigorous available analytical methodology.)

May be trace differences, but not enought to matter.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not trying to start anything here as I really don't care but the active ingredient in Top Engine Cleaner that reacts for the cleaning of rifle bores is Butyl Celusolve (sp ?) which reacts to the carbon. It doesn't have any ammonia that I know of and the oils are different. Butches has all of the above, but I guess it could be the same. Seems like GM would pitch a bitch about patent infringment rights.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This article from 6mmBR has a caution about using GM TEC because it has some nasty solvents that bore cleaners don't have.

http://www.6mmbr.com/borecleaning.html

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Isn't that odd. I read the attached article and the guy prefers MEBMG, as I do, and also follows up with a Hawkeye, as I do, and he also says that nothing has worked better for him.

Wonder why some others have said it didn't do squat. Works better than WO from what I've seen.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried the MEBMG, as far as I'm concerned, it would make a great smelling salt! For between shot swabbing during break-in as mentioned in the article, it works great. I'll stick with the Wipe-out as recommended in the article for normal cleaning, don't like brushing and the MEBMG requires brushing, Wipe-out works without any effort or odor!

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I love the smell of MEBMG, I take HUGE whiffs. dancing

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've always loved the smell of Hoppe's, it brings back many memories everytime I get a wiff, but I don't use it anymore as there are much better products now. I've considered putting a bottle on a shelf with a wick in it, a shooter's air freshner, if you will!! beer

Tim