New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fouling?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was just wondering........ is there a particular area in the barrel where fouling, copper that is, tends to gather?
Thanks Greg

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It tends to be worse in the throat, or area just down from the chamber. It can build up a carbon ring (just like shooting .38 Spl in a .357 Mag can create a carbon ring). In my Anschutz target rifles I use Carb-Out which I get from Sinclair, to clean out the carbon then clean as normal, then use JB Bore Paste or Iosso paste to scrub out the throat area and remove the last of the carbon. As carbon builds up it squeezes the bullet down to a slightly smaller diameter which causes a poor fit down the barrel and destroying accuracy. Go to Behncrest Central and run a search and you'll find many posts on the topic. When people say to not clean until accuracy falls off, this is probably the culpret.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also, read the post below entitled "Glazed Powder Fouling" for more info.

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Since you specifically ask about COPPER fouling, the throat area and towards the muzzle. The muzzle accumulation is said to be from the vaporized jacket material cooling and redepositing on the hot steel.

I prefer to get it all out

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote