THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUN CLEANING FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wipe-Out: How many cleanings before it's clean?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted
I'm in the process of using Wipe-Out for the first time on my 300win. I had always thought I was a fairly meticulous with my gun cleaning using Butch's and Sweets, but now am not so sure of that.

I applied three applications of Wipe-Out to the bore of this gun so far as follows: for 1 hour yesterday followed by a patch (blue), for 2 hours yesterday with another patch (blue), overnight for about 14 hours followed by an even bluer patch.

I just applied for the 4th time. Is this typical?

Makes me wonder how much copper this gun has spit out over the years. I purchased it used about 3 years ago. It's a pre J-lock 700 and I've recently put about 40 TSX down the tube. I've been getting sub-MOA with it. I'm curious to see if it shoots better (or worse?) after getting all this crud out of the bore.

Posts: 468 | Location: Tejas | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
The first time cleaning a well used gun with wipeout takes more than subsequent cleanings. I had to use it 4 times on a pre-64 model 70 before it came clean.

After the first time it will depend upon how smooth your bore is as to how many applications it will take. For bores that foul a lot it will probably take 2 applications. For custom lapped or low fouler type barrels it will take only one application after 20 to 50 shots.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
Thanks woods for the info. It doesn't make me feel so bad. Since I first posted, I've completed 3 more overnight applications on my 300win. The latest patch was this morning and it was still blue. Not as blue, but still blue.

On the other hand, my 270 win cleaned up after the second application.

Makes me wonder if these guns will still group with my pet loads! Time will tell.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Slatts, try inverting the rifle and leaving it overnight, the foaming cleaners settle in the bottom of the bore as a liquid after a while and don't clean the top part as well. I've been doing badly fouled bores on one side for several hours, then lay it on the other side for the remainder of the soak time, 6hrs on each side for a 12hr soak. You can use disposable ear plugs to cork the barrel up to keep the cleaner from running out which will help a lot.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Slatts, What you also may want to do is run some normal solvent through to remove powder fouling. Powder fouling sometimes layers between the copper and makes it more difficult to remove. Yes, the Wipe Out will remove powder fouling, but some solvents work even better on it. This also makes it easier on the Wipe Out to get everything out.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
prof242 makes a good point, I use Hoppe's Elite gun cleaner to remove the carbon/powder fouling, read this article at 6mmBR on that subject...

http://www.6mmbr.com/borecleaning.html

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
Just pushed another patch and it's noticeably less blue. Think we're almost to the promised land.

wrongtarget, that sounded like a good idea so I now have my 300 win resting scope down with another barrel full of wipeout.

prof - good point on the powder fouling. Most of the patches until the last one had a good bit of black also.

Next time, I'll clean first with the regular suspects to get rid of the fouling before going to wipeout.

one of us
posted Hide Post
wrongtarget,

I'm committed to doing it that way except I use MP7 which as i understand it is what Hoppes Elite is. But it must be applied by a bronze brush & work it till its foamy.

I do that & 1 application of wipeout & you're done on the cleaning.

Then 2 runs of an oiled patch before storage. I use Breakfree.

Regards
JohnT

Posts: 370 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Deception is in the eye of the beholder.

The people who make Wipe-Out say you can get 75 cleanings out of a can. Figure posted on their web site; $12.95 a can, the last time I looked.

My partner and I manufacture and sell a bore cleaner; 4 ounces, 20 bucks a pop. Guaranteed the best on the market, or your money back. My personal bottle of our bore cleaner has something like 250 cleaning out of it and is almost half full.

Cost isn’t calculated by the bottle or the ounce, but how many bores cleaned by a bottle or can.

Enough said.

warthog1134.com

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger,

I have no desire to cut into your sales of your solvent, but a lot of us don't like spending time brushing, that's one of the benefits of the foaming cleaners, no effort is needed to use them. WipeOut is $10 for 5 oz at Sportsmans Warehouse and Gunslick which works good also, is $11 for 12oz which will last a loooong time. Once a person knows how much time to spend on the foaming cleaner button so there's no waste, I'm sure the WipeOut claimed number of cleanings is close, although I haven't counted em. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stuntpilot2 posted an excellent report here a few days ago. Look it up. He used a borescope.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
yep, it's typical. particularly for first time use AND if it's a Model 70, they are NOTORIOUS foulers. The turning the rifle upside down on subsequent applications helps as well. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it's like my ZG you will get it clean in about 5 applications and then spend 3 boxes of ammunition getting it fouled to the point that it will shoot!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrongtarget:
Roger,

I have no desire to cut into your sales of your solvent, but a lot of us don't like spending time brushing, that's one of the benefits of the foaming cleaners, no effort is needed to use them. WipeOut is $10 for 5 oz at Sportsmans Warehouse and Gunslick which works good also, is $11 for 12oz which will last a loooong time. Once a person knows how much time to spend on the foaming cleaner button so there's no waste, I'm sure the WipeOut claimed number of cleanings is close, although I haven't counted em. Big Grin

Reports on Wipe Out are mixed. User feedback on our product isn't; not a single complaint. I'm sure we'll get one sooner or later, but in the time Warthog has been on the market, that hasn’t happened. In fact, it’s been the opposite. I take calls every week from users who call to let us know that our product works just like we say it’s going to work. There isn’t a hell of a lot of stroking to get a bore clean. I average 3 to 4 wet patches on my rifles. I’ve even taken calls from Canada complimenting us on out product. Our track record prompted us to offer this guarantee: If Warthog doesn’t perform as well as we say it does, send the unused portion back and we will refund your money, shipping both ways included.

When we started up the company, we made a decision never to disclose our customer information for any reason. That precludes using complements attributed to our users in any form of promotion or advertising. However, some users go public. Pointing that out isn’t a violation of our policy

On March 19, 2007 Steve E. posted his experience with Warthog on this forum.

There are other posting on other sites.

Also, Warthog is cleaning M-249 and M2 50 caliber bores in Iraq. Feedback via E-mail says that Warthog is making that job a lot easier.

We’ve shipped to troops in Afghanistan.

We’ve shipped to Canada.

We have orders pending confirmation to Europe.

NOTE TO THE GUYS FROM AUSTRALIA: After wadding through a lot of red tape, we’re going to start shipping Down Under at no extra cost.

warthog1134.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
1894mk2
At what point in those 60 rounds did You say "I'm Back"..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger K,

What is the brand name of your product and who will carry it in Australia.

What is the cleaning routine that recommend for your product. Whar claims are beng made for it.

Regrads,
JohnT

Posts: 370 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JohnT:

It's Warthog 1134, for sale on the internet only. We ship direct. We also offer a gurantee that the stuff works like we say it will or you money back.

http://warthog1134.com/

One of Us
Picture of SShooterZ
posted Hide Post
Just placed an order for 2 bottles of Warthog.

You've sold me so we'll see how it goes.

I'm going to give a bottle to my buddy who is former military and he's extremely anal about his guns. If it passes his test, then I KNOW its good. Wink

*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#
I'll never be able to give back to this forum all that I've learned from it. But I do want to thank those of you that have helped me out over the years.

Posts: 167 | Location: McHenry, IL | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akrange:
1894mk2
AK

About shot #45.....

I was getting really worried. Now I give it a quick brush with Kroil after field shooting and a some Hoppes every box or so.

one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894mk2:
quote:
Originally posted by akrange:
1894mk2
AK

About shot #45.....

I was getting really worried. Now I give it a quick brush with Kroil after field shooting and a some Hoppes every box or so.

I'm not sure if this was meant to be a joke or not, but I think the same thing happened to me on my Rem 700 BDL 270. (I was the original poster on this thread.) After getting the Remington super clean with wipeout, I proceeded to the range with some tried and true 150grTSX loads that normally shoot 3/4 MOA. After 30 rounds and 2-inch plus groups, I was flummoxed. I went through all the gun checks, tighted screws/bolts but everything checked out. It was a bit warmer when I shot the groups than when I worked up the loads, but I gave alot of time to cool the barrel and the powder was a Hogdon Extreme powder (H-4350). I have not cleaned the bore yet and will go shoot again. It may be that I have a gun shoots better fouled. We'll see.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
having used wipeout foam for two years now, I am now trying their patch out. I was going to post about a hard to clean 22-250, how about 2 days of wipeout foam before patches came clean. rifle is a model 70 winchester, is that part of the problem. other model 70's I own clean up with 4-5 treatments.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
for all of you that like to leave wipe-out (or any cleaner for that matter) over night, you should never leave them butt down, that is, with the action below the barrel that is full of solvent. the solvent will run down the barrel and into the action, possibly recking your bedding job and it will also pick up dirt and crud and that will more than likely end up in your trigger machanism! remember to store muzzle down, just put a small soft cloth under it to catch the liquid that comes out.

my rifle is permantly stored like this and the crown isnt damaged, but how would it get damaged sitting on a cloth? bound to do more damage to it in the bush.

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Roger,

I can't get your link to load....

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
warthog1134.com

Warthog weblink is not working!

Posts: 353 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger's last post was over a month ago! Confused