Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ronsonol Lighter Fuel & latex gloves
 Login/Join

posted
When you have your rifle almost all cleaned, except for some dry patches toward the end of the cleaning process, put one patch down the barrel with a little Ronsonol Lighter fuel(Ronson's lighter fluid) on it.
Then one dry patch and you're done.
The Ronson's lighter fluid takes out any remaining solvent and dirt quick and easy.
This was shown to me by the gunsmith who built both of my rifles and I have been using it on all my guns for years.
This same gunsmith told me to always wear latex gloves when cleaning any of my guns.
He told me any solvent that is any good, should be shielded from your skin, because if it is absorbed it can cause you problems you don't want.

That's the truth and I'm stickin to it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nitrile gloves hold up to solvents better than latex will

Posts: 289 | Location: Western UP of Michigan  | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Why lighter fluid? Acetone is cheaper and will acompolish the same thing. Isnt that lighter fluid just overpriced kerosene?

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
No...I think it is basically naphtha.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36636 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
Lighter fluid is Naptha. Easily ignited and burns cooler and cleaner than kerosine. Water is not dissolved in Naptha but is in Acetone. Acetone is used as a solvent to remove water moisture from storage and use tanks.

I buy gallon cans of Naptha for use in my lighters because it is considerably cheaper by the gallon than it is in the small "branded" containers for lighters.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Is there any reason why Zippo lighter fluid would not work?
I have some Zippo stuff from way back when I didn't have carbide 45 Colt sizing die. I used the Zippo fluid to clean off the sizing lube.
I clean my rifle barrel prior to leaving the range. I clean the barrel again when I return to the range. I've never found any reason to swamp out my barrel to remove any bore solvent remainder.
What's the idea behind this cleaning step?

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zippo/Ronsonal, pretty much identical. I've used both and they both do the same thing far as I can tell.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Latex gloves do not give protection from many solvents. Get the nitrile ones, they are usually blue.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good stuff all.

I have any use both types of gloves. I guess I am a glove guy. In my early days working the oil field I needed and used gloves. Same in racing and the same in the cleaning etc. But some gloves are hard to get good feel through.

I will have to try the lighter fluid.

A good product as a final finish that I use and like pretty well is the Montana Extreme Bore Conditioning Oil. I was intially surprised at how clean it is and how it may still raise some fouling left behind and come out of an otherwise " clean" barrel with black streaks on a clean patch.

Not as good for lighting up a MonteCristo though.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote