Find
Notify
Tools

Forrest Bore Foam?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
I notice in the Frankonia catalog (fairly well know in France and Germany) a bore foam with the brand name "Forrest". Is this another foam under a different name? Anybody tried it?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MarkH
posted Hide Post
Hi Wink

I use it on my 375 and it works a treat at copper removal compared to patcjhing through with Butches Bore Shine.

Mark

They have a website http://www.milfoam.fi/flash/index.html

Hunting is getting as close as you can, shooting is getting as far away as possible.

Posts: 537 | Location: Worcestershire, England | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link Mark. Have you ever tried comparing Forrest Foam with WipeOut?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
I have used Forrest Bore Foam(made in Finland) for some years now, maybe 6 or 7 years. I really, really like this stuff. It needs to be left in barrel for at least 3 hours to get the max effect, the 15 min suggested on the can is far from enough.

I tried the WipeOut to compare, and found it messier to work with, but about equal in the cleaning process.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Bent, I guess I will have to try it if it as good as Wipe Out, which I have found to be excellent. Getting Wipe Out in France mostly means you've friends in the USA who are willing to do errands for you. At least now I can get something without bothering other people. I'll let you know my experience with it once I get some.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure if Wipe Out has hit the U.K shores yet, I have never found it advertised here or seein it in Europe, but I too have used Forest Bore Foam for a number of years and found it to work well, as Mark has said leaving it in the barrel longer seems to work best, I have left in on a barel overnnight before without any detrimental effects other than leaving a nasty blue gunge that ran off the bench onto a carpet, now I just need a foam that cleans a carpet stain!!

Posts: 342 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Jonathan, I am under the impression that it has made it to the UK since there is a www.wipeout.org.uk web site. I haven't had much luck in communication with them about sending some to me in France yet. I guess French based clients are not a priority.

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Wink, have no fear, it is just as good, if not better than the wipeOut, and easyer to work with. Do not let it come in contact with plasic, and always make sure to put someold papers under det bore so what leaks out does not damage carpets etc.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wink is perfectly correct.

Seems Wipeout has reached the U.K, my apologies for suggesting otherwise, the link above from Wink will put you in touch with a nice chap in Scotland who has a shipment due in at the end of next week. I spoke to him today and he advises he can ship it to anywhere in Europe.

If you want to try it drop Griff an e-mail.

Seems the good things enjoyed by our friends in the U.S make it here eventually

Posts: 342 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone in the US carry the Forrest Foam?

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wrongtarget

Thanks so much! The only issue I have with wipeout is that it is too runny. And that leads to a lot of waste. It does work well, but dollar for dollar, I have found it is better to do the first couple swabs with a good ammonia based cleaner. With a patch over a nylon bristle.

Don't use brass brushes - they react the same way copper does.

Jim

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use WipeOut a lot, the only time it's runny is the last bit in the can when it's almost empty, I use that for putting on patches after I've left it to soak overnight with an application of foam. If yours is runny out of a full can, it's defective or you didn't shake it good enough as the instructions say. I've also used Outers and Gunslick which is the same product, just comes in a bigger can, can't say they don't work just as well as WipeOut and they're a lot easier to find locally, Walmart sells the Outers for $6.88. I don't use any brushes unless I have a really lead fouled barrel, that's the idea behind the foaming cleaners, no need for brushing or a lot of elbow grease in cleaning!!

Tim

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do these foams cause any barrel damage? And, is the "accelerator" worthwhile?

one of us
posted Hide Post
They won't damage the bore, but they will remove some stock finishes. I've been using WipeOut and/or Outers for over 2 yrs, on about my 6th or 7th can, works great!

http://www.sharpshootr.com/wipeout.htm

http://www.6mmbr.com/borecleaning.html

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:

The only issue I have with wipeout is that it is too runny.

Jim

Yup, and right there the Forrest is a lot better!!!!!
I only did a few barrels with the WipeOut. I think I have used at least 20 cans of Forrest.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's some interesting infomation.

I e-mailed Forrest and asked them where I could get it in the US.

In addition to Lock Stock and Barrel, their GM said that their foam is being sold under both the Gunslick and Outers names!

I've used the Outers, and it is great.

Can't explain the problem I had with Wipeout. It sure as heck wasn't from shaking the can enough.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
Can't explain the problem I had with Wipeout. It sure as heck wasn't from shaking the can enough.

That's why I suspect maybe you had a defective can of WipeOut. I've never noticed any of mine being any more or less runny than Outers or Gunslick and couldn't tell you if either worked better or worse than WipeOut. And as I stated, the Gunslick comes in a much bigger can, costs more, but still less per oz of product.

As an afterthought, it's quite possible that the runny WipeOut you experienced was an older can that had lost some pressure. The reason I say that is when the can gets nearly empty, it does get runny as I stated, hence not as much foaming and more runny. Just guessing.

I just took a good look at the cans, the Outers has on the back of the can "Product of Milfoam"!!!

Tim

http://www.benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=183581

http://benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18726

http://www.gunslick.com/products/chemicals/cleaners.aspx

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
A can of Milfoam under the Forrest brand costs 17 Euros (around $20) for one can. How much does Gunslick cost in the USA?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lock Stock & Barrel sells them at $8.95 for a 3 ounce can.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the Gunslick 12oz was $10-$12 at Walmart don't remember for sure, MSRP is $12.49, the 3oz Outers is $6.88 at Walmart.

Tim

http://www.gunslick.com/products/chemicals/cleaners.aspx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like all these foams are the same stuff - maybe made by the same chemical company but sold in different containers.

I've got two old barrels that I've been working on for over a week, and I still get "blue" after an overnight soak. How long does it take to totally clean the barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
2 overnight soaks is the most I've ever had to do. It helps to turn the rifle once during the soak period. I start with the rifle laying on one side with the muzzle slightly down or taped, then several hours into the cycle, turn it on the other side for the rest of the time. The foam turns to liquid after while and settles in the bottom of the bore, turning it lets it work on the other side and helps it work on the fouling in the entire bore.

Concerning your accelerator question, I've not used it, I ordered some from Midsouth, they sent me the blackpowder WipeOut in error, so I still haven't tried it. I've read numerous user reports that it does indeed speed up the cleaning process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
wrongtarget, thanx for the comeback. Putting the foam in a warm or hot barrel immediately after firing might speed the process as well. Yet, the manufacturers caution to use foam only after a 5 minute cool down. What's been your experience? I must say, I used the foam in a hot barrel with good results. I read the foam is flammable. How flammable?

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
As I mentioned, the Forrest Milfoam is in the Frankonia catalog in Europe. Now I see that the Kettner catalog shows Hoppe's Bore Foam. Have any of you guys in the USA looked on the Hoppe's can to see where it was made (or if under licence)? As mentioned above, everybody is jumping on the bandwagon and coming out with a foam but it may be that many of them are the same thing with name changes for marketing purposes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never used it in a warm bore, may have to try it to see how it works. It may evaporate too soon to work well.

Hoppe's is owned by Michaels of Oregon, they don't show the foam in their product line, may be too new and just isn't on their web site yet.

http://www.uncle-mikes.com/brands.asp?manufky=1000007

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
FYI - The Forrest foam is also sold as the Break-Free foam cleaner in the US.

rsy

The real work of men was hunting meat. The invention of agriculture was a giant step in the wrong direction, leading to serfdom, cities, and empire. From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information. - Edward Abbey

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
A can of Milfoam under the Forrest brand costs 17 Euros (around $20) for one can.

Wink, look at:
www.johannsen-jagd.de and go to page 133 of their catalogue. You pay € 11,95, without shipping & handling.
Bent: I used it on a new Lothar Walther barrel, after some 25 rounds. Left it for 1,5 hours, not much blue!
Nice day,
Jan.

Posts: 113 | Location: Terschelling, the Netherlands | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a test comparing Wipe Out and Forrest for a Swedish gun mag two years back. Wipe out won -better at removing copper- but it was a pretty close race.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jaco Human
posted Hide Post
Forrest does work.

Here is my fairy tale.

I am busy developing new loads for my 22-250, 308 and the 375. Before shooting the developing loads last thursday I decided to thoroughly clean all the rifle. I used Shooters choice and Butch boreshine. I've spend most of the day to get all the rifles properly cleaned.

After the tests I have spent most of Friday to clean the rifles, because of Saturdays shooting at the club.

After the shoot I must admit I did not feel like cleaning guns and I left it till Sunday. Then before starting the day long job, I read this post and decided to truy and get any bore foam available in Pretoria. Well I got Forrest.

A quick spurt in the 22-250 and in the 308 filled the barrel;s. I turnrd them every 15 to 20 minutes and after 2 hours decided to push through a couple of patches. I was amazed at the amount of copper that came out first time. I then thought it was just too good to be true and I filled both barrels again with Foresters. I had a big surprise when the patches came out clean.

I then decided to give the 375 a go. I cleaned it Friday and did not shoot it on Saturday, so it should be clean. The first patch was blue, not as much as the other two rifles, but there was still copper left in the barrel.

It is a absolute joy to clean rifles now. I am hooked, from now on I will enjoy cleaning rifles. The inventors of the bore foams should be nominated for a Nobel price.

I paid R107 which is about 11.75 Euros

Wink have you tested yor Rhino bullets yet. I got a 23mm group at 100 meters at 2650 ft/sec with the 270 grainers.

Life is how you spend the time between hunting trips.

Through Responsible Sustainable hunting we serve Conservation.
Outfitter permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/73984
PH permit no. Limpopo ZA/LP/81197
Jaco Human
SA Hunting Experience

jacohu@mweb.co.za
www.sahuntexp.com

Posts: 1250 | Location: Centurion and Limpopo RSA | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have read that Forest's Bore Foam is sold under the name Outer's in the U.S. which you can readily pick up at Wallyworld.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dirklawyer:
I have read that Forest's Bore Foam is sold under the name Outer's in the U.S. which you can readily pick up at Wallyworld.

As stated earlier in this thread, Milfoam makes Outers, Gunslick and Forrest bore foam!

The first 2 are available at Walmart in small cans for about $7, Gunslick is also available in 12oz cans for $11 at Sportsman's Warehouse.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Jaco, no I haven't yet worked any loads for Rhino bullets in my 404J. Too busy these last weeks cleaning rifles!

One of Us
Picture of Jan
posted Hide Post
Dutch visitors:
You can order Forrest at:
Webshop: www.milispec.nl

Prettige dag!
Jan M.

Posts: 113 | Location: Terschelling, the Netherlands | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Check Walmart...seems like it about $6.50 per can for Outers.

I have used most all of the bore foams for awhile, and I can't see much difference between them.

It seems like one may do a better job on a particular day than another, then the next time it's the other way around.

In the end, they all work pretty well indeed.

They are (bore foams) one of the best things to come along, considering the probable amount of bore damage done by poor leaning rods in careless hands etc. This stuff will save some barrel damage I think.

Paul

Posts: 9 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: 01 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Unit5A
posted Hide Post
http://www.break-free.com/?location=/products/index.asp

http://www.mp7.com/

When I saw break-free mentioned it reminded me of military guns/barrels we cleaned all the time. We used to use both these products I attached links to if anybody wanted to check them out.
When all the really "good stuff" became illegal because of environmental/health issues, we switched to these products. Just some info if interested....

"Hunt smart, know your target and beyond"

Posts: 394 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 20 May 2007Reply With Quote