THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUN CLEANING FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Butch's Bore Shine the very best money can buy???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
Trying get this rifle cleaning thing down!

Question:
Is Butch's Bore Shine a good quality solvent capable of getting your rifle bore clean expediently with absolutely NO HARM?

Choices:
Yes
No...will add post below to tell you the best.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Let's say I've used it and even left it for hours in a barrel with no apparent harm to the barrel and it will get a barrel perfectly clean without the use of brushes. On the other hands, it's quite odorific and I'm a bit concerned about toxicity so wear gloves whilst using it to keep it off my skin.

The products I use the most are Wipe Out Accelerator and Patch Out which will also get a barrel perfectly clean with no harm or brushing. The final product in the barrel is Prolix which I use instead of oil.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Butch' is a good product.

KG-12 or
WipeOut/PatchOut with accelerator
are easier on the weapon and the operator.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I personally do not care for Butch's. IMO Shooters Choice is a much better product. The only thing I use Butch's for, because I still have a partial bottle left, is for a "tattle tale" to let me know if I have any copper in the barrel. If Butch's soaked patches come out blue then I get the Wipe Out & Accelerator and get 'er done quick.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I do like Butch's but I use Sweet's 7.62 to remove the copper then use Butch's as a followup to clean the sweet's out. Then I use Butch's oil as the final touch.

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
There are 3 cleaning products on my bench and in my shooting box I travel to competitions with.. Butches, Sweets and Iosso Paste.

With these 3 I can get any tube clean down to the bare metal no matter how fouled it is in less than 30 minutes...

Butches and Sweets are the primary by far cleaning agents. First wet patch with Butches then soaked brush with Butches for a few strokes---dry patch out Butches then a wet patch of Brake Cleaner then wet patch of Sweets then soak a brush with Sweets and brush the bore 10 or so strokes then let sit for a couple of minutes then dry patch and repeat depending on how much copper you have. Finish with a butches patch and let soak until the next relay.. I have the last few years gotten to where I just leave Butches in the bores during storage. Yes oil would be better but the scope shows no harm at all..

If you have any doubt or are starting the cleaning process from an unknown condition use the Iosso to get it CLEAN. Always better to start from a known condition.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you have any doubt or are starting the cleaning process from an unknown condition use the Iosso to get it CLEAN. Always better to start from a known condition.

Why Iosso paste instead or JB's bore compound?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch's has very little effect on copper fouling.

Posts: 317 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 09 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not had good luck with Butch's. It does no better than Hoppe's, which I only now use for powder fouling on my in-line muzzleloader breach plug. It does nothing for copper. The poster above is more in line with my experience when he said Shooter's Choice is much better.

If I ever want to go to bare metal, I ues WipeOut.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I didn't vote because I sure don't know what is the "best". But, I think more damage is done to the bore by running the rod back and forth than is done by using the aggressive cleaners(sweets, etc.) as directed. BTWDIK?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Montana Extreme BMG and/or KG 12 Big Grin

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let the patches soaked in Butch's dry after cleaning your fouled bore. You'll notice they typically turn a nice shade of blue-green which is due to the high concentration of copper in them! If you aren't seeing it, you aren't letting it sit long enough. It's about all I use now (I've used Shooter's Choice in the past and thought it worked about as well, but is just harder to get in my area.)

MAJ Jarod Hanson, DVM
Veterinary Corps.
United States Army

Posts: 354 | Location: MD | Registered: 11 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My bottle was so good I gave it away! I now use Sweets, Wipe Out, Hoppes.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't necessarily dislike Butch's, but do yourelf a favor and try some Bore Tech eliminator.
No 'dangerous' chemical, but does the job better than anything I've tried, and I do like Wipeout and yes I use Iosso--if I've got a stubborn SOB, and want to make sure I'm definitely down to bare metal for some reason, I don't really care typically--I like Glen Zediker's advice, do what the target face tells you works--in other words, if you are getting accuracy, forget all the rest.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone made up Eds Red and used it?

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
Ed's Red works great for shotguns, not rifles. Bore Tech is better than Butch's, but not as good a Montana Extreme Copper Killer or KG 12.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i use sweets 1st and then butches afterwards, but always keep an open bottle of hoppes around for perfume

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
. . . always keep an open bottle of hoppes around for perfume

+1
Ain't it the truth! dancing

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
Hoppe's to cut the carbon, Wipe-Out to remove ALL the copper from the bore.

Wipe-Out works like nothing else I have ever tried on copper fouling.

I clean my rifles this way @ the end of the saeson. I then shoot them 5-10 times to break in the "sqeaky clean" bore & do not clean them, other than a dry patch is I get caught in the rain, until the hunting is over for the year.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I second BoreTech Eliminator. Cleans faster with the least effort of anything that I have tried so far without the odor.

NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have never had as much trouble cleaning a rifle bore as I did on an M1 Garand with an October, 1940 dated barrel.

Thirty to fifty patches a day, alternating with brushing, with Butch's and Hoppe's No. 9, and also Shooter's Choice in place of Butch's, for a full week and half.

The carbon and copper were impacted in layers in the bore.

I found that the Butch's worked better than the Shooter's Choice.

The rifle now shoots pretty well.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
F&*$^k Butch's

This is what will happen after shooting in the rain and leaving a Butch's soaked patch in the throat of a 416R stainless barrel from Sunday to Tuesday.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Damn, that's a shame!

I don't trust any of the ammonia-based copper solvents enough to leave them in the bore for more than 15-30 minutes.

I swab them out and neutralize with Hoppe's.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
Roger that, MR.

Tough lesson learned. I'd gotten away with the technique of wetting the bore, leaving the patch in the throat to keep things wet and standing the rifle muzzle down in the corner for a few days. In this particular instance, I glibbly pushed the wet patch out without giving it a thought (or look), dried the bore, and ran a real light oiled patch. Got to the shooting range, fired the first round and had heavy bolt lift - WTF!?!. No signs of excessive pressure on the case head so I fired another. Same deal.

Then, I noticed the bulges on the case neck. I couldn't believe it. This was a week before my Kodiak bear tag was valid. I shot one more just to prove the impossible and it was.

The big globs of rust colored junk on the patch were discovered after I got back and fished it out of the trash. There were SCABS of iron oxide on it. Amazing. I called Butch and he, however nicely, shined me on and basically shoved that barrel down my throat. Being a .450Ackley, there wasn't much that could be done to clean up the chamber.

Since then, I've been very cautious around ammonia based solvents.

As an aside, I later came across an interesting article in a late 90's Precision Shooting magazine regarding the mixing of differnt solvents and the formation of some pretty agressive acids. Apparently, a lot of match barrel makers got away from the ammonia mixes as a well made smooth barrel really doesn't need to be cleaned to bare steel to shoot well anyway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last year I got sick as a dog using smelly solvents.
Like fish I used Boretech Eliminator and never looked back.
I am disabled and spend alot of time in the gun room cleaning mine and all friends rifles and handguns.With BoreTech I don't need the smelly cleaners.
I did keep my Wipe-Out and Accelerator.I'm in to no-smell cleaners as of last year.Drop-Shot

Posts: 91 | Location: Helena,Montana | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys01:
Ed's Red works great for shotguns, not rifles. Bore Tech is better than Butch's, but not as good a Montana Extreme Copper Killer or KG 12.
My GS told me how to clean shotgun barrels.I use an old 12g bronze brush wrapped with 4 ought steel wool wet with hoppes. I broke the plastic handle off of a shotgun cleaning rod.I screw the brush into the rod and chuck it into an electric drill make a few power passes in the bore takes out plastic,powder residue & lead.I run a patch thru the barrel to remove and material and another with a wee bit of oil.

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PWS:
F&*$^k Butch's

This is what will happen after shooting in the rain and leaving a Butch's soaked patch in the throat of a 416R stainless barrel from Sunday to Tuesday.

Interesting to say the least---just went and patched a tube that has been soaking for over 2 years--perfect chamber and tube. The borescope does not lie--wonder what really caused the problem????

Have used gallons of Butches with not one issue but this is interesting.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
Boss,

This is conjecture but I have to guess that there was some unholy mixture of rainwater, electrolyte and dissimilar metal.

Butch did tell me that submersion (typically by plugging and filling the bore) is not recommended - mostly as oxygen speeds the cleansing capacity of his solvent - but perhaps that method is safer?

posted Hide Post
Butch's for me has been useless. The only liquid solvents I have used that actually worked for copper fouling was Sweet's or Barnes CR10. I quit both of them after trying Wipe Out, it's simply the easiest and best copper remover I've used. It also doesn't stink or harm the bore if left in for hours.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote