New
Find
Notify
Tools

To clean or not to clean...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Went out to just put some lead in the air, nothing scientific. Shot misc. reloads like I said just putting lead in the air. Target @ 200 yds hitting the paper nothing spectacular. Started with a clean bore and after rds 15-16 groups shrunk incredibly thru round count 25-26 when I went home. My question is do I clean or leave it until I go to the range again. It has shown this characteristic before . Thanks

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Strictly my own experience: Once upon a time, bought a 17cal. M700 Rem., 20X Leupold and began shooting at 100 yds. with best handlands.......I had that "sinking feeling" for first 20-30 rounds or so, then with the same load, same conditions, what started off to be a 1.5MOA rifle, now finished up at 0.5MOA with same loads. From this, I consider that a 'powder trail' needs to be laid down & may be accurate with shots touching until there is powder fouling. With my match Anschutz M1413 rifle, my best sub. 0.20" 50 yards came at the end of firing session, not while barrel was clean. r in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
possibly a slightly rough barrel. The layering of copper and ash may be filling in the microscopic pits.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a factory Savage SS barrel. I thtink I am going to try it without cleaning. I am going to rebarrel next year anyway. Thanks

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really only clean after each range session because I live 500 metres from the ocean. if I lived in a dry climate I would only clean when the rifle tells me it needs the barrel cleaned.My Enfield no4 mk1 in .308 was recently used over four
shoots within the space of a week without being cleaned ( mainly because I didn't have time) and it was just as accurate with round number 80 as it was with the first shot.
find out what your rifle does and clean to suit it.
rob

"the older I get, the better I was"

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote