New
Find
Notify
Tools

Major rust issue on a rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
On Christmas day I picked up a couple rifles and a shotgun from my brother. He has absolutely no idea about gun care. The main issue is w/ a pre-64 Winchester 30-30. It is rusted so badly that the action cannot be worked, nor the hammer. Problem damn thing is loaded but I don't know if it has a round chambered. Any help w/ this would be greatly appreciated.

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
First determine whether or not a round is in the chamber!

1. Keep the barrel pointed in a safe direction.
2. Do not place any part of your hands, face, body, etc. in front of the bore.
3. Put on goggles, earplugs, knee-pads, flame retardant protective suit, helmet, welder's mask, mouth guard, orthopedic insoles, jock strap and/or any other safety equipment you feel you should have.
3. Gently slide a cleaning rod down the bore and make note of how far it goes down by marking the rod at the muzzle with a Sharpie or other marker.
4. Remove the cleaning rod.
5. Lay the cleaning rod along the outside of barrel positioning the mark you made at the muzzle.

A. If the rifle IS NOT loaded then the front of the cleaning rod will be at the bolt face.
B. If the rifle IS loaded the end of the cleaning rod will be about three inches short of the bolt face. In that case add Depends to the list of items in 3 above.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Soak in a good penetrating oil ,be patient ,then try to operate.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Recently I had a friend wth a rifle that got rusty.

I had good luck using the spray Ballistol to dissolve the rust.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paraffin aka in the USA as kerosene is good. Leave it to soak for two days or even longer.

As a safety precaution I would remove the hammer from the rifle. Luckily as it is a Winchester 92 you may be able to do that with a partial disassembly.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
Paraffin aka in the USA as kerosene is good. Leave it to soak for two days or even longer.

As a safety precaution I would remove the hammer from the rifle. Luckily as it is a Winchester 92 you may be able to do that with a partial disassembly.

The original poster said its a 30-30, that means its a 94. 92's are handgun length rounds!

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Try to get the wood removed. The soak it down with Aero-Kriol for several days. Start working the action as much as you can. Any movement will be a help. Keep adding the Kroil and maybe some heat.

a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone will creep into the smallest areas quicker and better than the Kriol but it stinks more.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote